This main course casserole is sinfully delicious! So amazingly rich in fabulous Mexican flavors. Each fiber-rich serving has 320 calories, 8 grams of fat, and 8 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 10 Green. It’s super quick to make but does need time to be refrigerated before slicing. I really hope you get a chance to make it soon. Everyone will LOVE it!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 55 minutes
Refrigerated Time: 1 hour or best overnight before slicing and serving
Ingredients for Cornbread:
1 cup onions, chopped
1 cup red bell peppers, chopped
1 tablespoon reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
1 (14.5 oz) can cream-style corn
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
½ cup fat-free cottage cheese
1 egg, I love Egg-Land’s Best eggs
¼ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon cumin
1 (8.5 oz) box Jiffy’s Corn Muffin Mix, see shopping tips
Ingredients for Topping:
½ cup from a (10-12 oz) can or jar enchilada sauce, see shopping tips
½ cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt or fat-free plain yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a 9 x 9” baking pan with cooking spray.
2. In a microwave-safe bowl, add onions, red peppers, and butter. Cook in microwave on high for about 4 minutes until soft. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix together cream-style corn, beans, cottage cheese, egg, chili powder, and cumin. Blend well. Stir in cornbread mix and only stir until blended. The batter might be a little lumpy. Using a rubber spatula, spread cornbread batter into prepared pan.
4. Spoon cooked onions, red peppers, and liquid left in the bowl, evenly over top of cornbread.
5. Pour ½ cup enchilada sauce all over onions. Using the same rubber spatula, carefully spread yogurt evenly over the top. It’s okay that it doesn’t cover over the entire casserole.
6. Bake for 55-60 minutes so the casserole will be cooked through. It will look very brown.
7. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cutting into 6 slices. It’s very soft and needs to firm up in the refrigerated or it will be a mushy mess. I like to make this casserole the day before serving, refrigerate, cut into slices, and reheat. It also freezes great after it’s baked, refrigerated and sliced.
Makes 6 servings (each serving, 1 slice)
Most supermarkets sell Jiffy corn muffin mix in the baking aisle. If you can’t find it use another brand that is about 8.5 ounces.
For this recipe, I used ½ cup from a (12oz) bottle of Trader Joe’s Enchilada Sauce. Or, use ½ cup from a (10 oz) can of red enchilada sauce found at most supermarkets.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 8-Blue
WW SmartPoints 10-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 8
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 slice
320 calories, 8g fat, 2g sat. fat, 30mg chol, 12g protein, 53g carbs, 6g fiber, 796mg sodium, 15g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
229 calories, 2g sat. fat, 5g protein, 11g sugar