A comfort food casserole that’s beyond delicious. This mac and cheese is a guilt-free dream come true! The very cheesy sauce includes three low fat cheeses, shredded, cottage cheese and Parmesan. Once combined with the cooked cheese tortellini, it becomes a cheese lovers delight! Each generous serving has 213 calories, 7 grams of fat and 6 Weight Watchers Freestyle Points.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 15 minutes
1 (10 oz) pkg.cheese tortellini, see shopping tips
2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
½ teaspoon dry mustard powder
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper or leave out if you don’t want it a little spicy
⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon reduced-fat milk
1¼ cups low fat cottage cheese or part skim ricotta cheese
1 cup light cheese such as Mozzarella, cheddar or a blend of cheeses, shredded
Salt and black pepper, to taste
¼ cup light shredded cheese such as Mozzarella, cheddar or a blend of cheeses
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Cook tortellini according to package instructions. Drain. Set aside.
3. To make cheese sauce: In a large nonstick pan, melt butter. Using a whisk, mix in dry mustard powder and cayenne pepper. Whisk in milk, cottage cheese and shredded cheese. Season to taste with a little salt and pepper.
4. Using a rubber spatula so the tortellini doesn’t tear, stir in cooked tortellini. Mix well. Add to baking dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle all over top with ¼ cup shredded cheese and the Parmesan cheese. Bake in oven for about 15 minutes, until the cheeses are melted.
5. Cool slightly and cut into 6 servings.
Makes 6 main course servings.
I used Trader Joe’s Cheese Tortellini. It’s fresh pasta and found in the refrigerated section. Most supermarkets carry a few brands, such as Buitoni.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints 6
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 6
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 6
SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving
213 calories, 7g fat, 3g sat. fat, 24mg chol, 15g protein, 24g carbs, 1g fiber, 377mg sod, 3g sugar