If you’re looking for a simple and delicious recipe for fajitas, your search is over. I’m using lean flank steak and broiling the steak first, before cooking with seasonings, peppers, and onions. The meat is so flavorful cooked this way! I love serving fajitas for parties or small gatherings. It’s so much fun to let everyone customize their own. I usually serve on the side, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, my skinny ranch dressing or sour cream, reduced-fat cheese, and guacamole. Each steak fajita has 200 calories, 7 grams of fat and 5 Blue WW Freestyle Points, and 5 Green.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for Fajitas:
1 pound flank steak
Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, Lawry’s seasoning salt or salt and black pepper
1 large red or yellow onion cut into thin rings
2 red bell peppers or 1 red and 1 yellow, cut into slices (about 4 cups)
1(1.27 oz) package Lawry’s Fajita seasonings mix (do not use directions on pkg. follow instructions, below)
⅓ cup water plus 1 tablespoon.
1 teaspoon olive oil
8 corn tortillas or corn & whole wheat blend tortillas, see shopping tips
Ingredients for Toppings: (optional)
Chopped romaine lettuce
Fat-free sour cream or Nancy’s Skinny Ranch Dressing
Shredded reduced-fat cheese
1. Preheat oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with foil. Place flank steak on foil. Sprinkle with Worcestershire sauce, a little garlic powder, Lawry’s seasoning salt, or just salt and a little pepper. Broil for about 4 minutes. Remove from oven, turnover, season again with Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, a little seasoning salt, and pepper. Broil an additional 3-4 minutes until desired pinkness inside.
2. Place steak on cutting board or plate. Save the juices on the pan to add to the fajitas. Slice steak into very thin strips. Be sure to slice against the grain. Set aside along with the pan juices.
3. In a microwave-safe bowl or large plate, add all sliced peppers and onions. Cook about 5 minutes, until soft.
4. Coat a large nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil and heat. Add cooked peppers and onions and saute over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes. Stir often. Add cooked, sliced steak and juices from foil. Stir in fajita seasoning mix and water. Blend well. Turn heat down to simmer and continue to cook for about 4 minutes until onions are very soft and the mixture is very hot.
5. In the meantime, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wrap tortillas in foil and place in oven for about 5-8 minutes or until heated through. Or, wrap tortillas in plastic wrap and heat in microwave for about 25 seconds.
6. To serve: Spoon ½ cup of steak mixture down the center of each tortilla and let everyone top with their desired toppings. This recipe can easily be doubled and tripled. It also freezes great!
Makes 8 fajitas (each serving-½ cup fajita and 1 corn tortilla)
A fajita is a term found in both traditional Mexican cuisine and Tex-Mex cuisine. It refers to any grilled meat served as a taco or on a flour or corn tortilla. The term originally referred to the cut of beef used in the dish such as skirt steak. Popular meats used in fajitas today include any cuts of beef, chicken, pork and shrimp. The meat is typically cooked with pepper, onions, and seasonings. Popular condiments are shredded lettuce, tomato, sour cream, salsa, and guacamole.
There are many choices of tortillas out there. The lowest in calories and fat is a 6” corn tortilla. I just discovered Mission Foods Artisan Style Tortillas-Corn & Whole Wheat Blend. You might want to use them. They are really tasty…Each tortilla has 90 calories, 2.5g fat, and 3 grams of fiber! You’ll find them in most supermarkets. I also saw them at Trader Joe’s under their own brand.
WW Freestyle Points 5-Blue
WW SmartPoints 5-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 5
|SKINNY FACTS: for ½ cup fajita and 1 corn tortilla (not including toppings)
200 calories, 7g fat, 2g sat. fat, 16g protein, 20g carbs, 3g fiber, 473mg sodium, 5g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle Points (½ cup fajita and 1 corn tortilla (not including toppings)
181 calories, 2g sat. fat, 18g protein, 2g sugar