This is a wonderful low calorie, low fat, Paleo, gluten-free version of the French classic chicken dish! The French pronunciation is kɔk o vɛ̃. It’s so easy and straightforward. I’ve served it many times and everyone loves it! My skinny version uses white wine instead of red wine, which creates a lighter tasting sauce and is cooked on the stove top instead of the oven. Each serving has 255 calories, 4 grams of fat and 2 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints. It smells so wonderful while cooking and is truly a gourmet treasure.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
1 pound chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into 2-inch chunks
A little salt and pepper
1 tablespoon flour (coconut or almond flour for gluten-free or Paleo diet)
2 teaspoons olive oil
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced in half
1 cup baby carrots
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth, see shopping tips
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 cup frozen pearl onions
1 cup frozen peas
1. Add chicken chunks to a bowl. Season with a little salt and pepper and toss with flour.
2. Coat a large, nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add chicken, brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
3. In the same pan, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil. Saute mushrooms, carrots and tomato paste over medium-high heat. Cook 3 minutes.
4. Add wine and broth and deglaze pan. Continue to simmer for about 8 minutes until liquid is reduced by half. Add thyme sprigs and chicken. Simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Stir in onions and peas and simmer for about 3-5 minutes more, until onions and peas are heated through.
Makes 4 servings (about 1½ cups for each serving)
This classic French dish, when literally translated, means “rooster with wine.” In days past, farmers kept roosters for breeding purposes until they were several years old, which necessitated long slow cooking to tenderize them for eating. To accomplish this, the rooster was cooked slowly with mushrooms, onions, bacon, herbs and red wine.
No need to use an expensive bottle of white wine for this dish. I usually buy a very inexpensive wine such as Trader Joe’s Charles Shaw wine. It’s known as the Two Buck Chuck!
Serve this dish over ½ cup of mashed potatoes. Try my
Dreamy, Dairy Free, Skinny Mashed Potatoes
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 2-Blue
WW SmartPoints 4-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 5
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving (about 1½ cups)
255 calories, 4g fat, 1g sat. fat, 31g protein, 15g carbs, 4g fiber, 374mg sodium, 5g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
65 calories, 0g sat. fat, 1g sugar, 0g prot.