I call this a party meatloaf because it’s fancy enough to serve for the company but you really don’t have to wait for the company to make this yummy meatloaf. Any night of the week will be great! It’s quite similar to my Skinny Meatloaf recipe except I’m using very lean ground turkey breast instead of beef and topping with a beautiful, gourmet tasting, mushroom sauce. Each skinny serving, including the sauce, 217 calories, 3 grams of fat, and 2 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 3 Green.
Maybe dinner tonight?
Prep Time: 20 minutes (including making the sauce)
Bake Time: 55 minutes
Ingredients for Meatloaf:
1 pound 99% ground turkey breast, see shopping tips
1½ slices multigrain or whole wheat bread, remove crusts (I used Milton’s Multigrain bread) or use ½ cup bread crumbs
1 cup onions, chopped
2 egg whites
3 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon spicy brown or yellow mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
¼ teaspoon salt
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Meatloaf Topping:
3 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon spicy mustard or yellow mustard
Ingredients for Mushroom Sauce:
10 oz package (about 3 cups) of sliced mushrooms, see shopping tips
¾ cup onions, chopped
1 tablespoon reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
¼ cup (2 oz) white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
¼ teaspoon salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and set it aside.
2. In a large bowl, add ground turkey.
3. To make bread crumbs: remove crust, break up bread. Add to a blender or food processor. Process until the bread turns into crumbs.
4. To the bowl of turkey, add bread crumbs, onions, egg whites, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper, to taste. Using your hands, mix together all ingredients.
5. Place the meatloaf mixture on the baking sheet and free form a loaf by hand. It should be about 12” x 4.”
6. In a small bowl, mix together topping ingredients. Spread all over top of meatloaf.
7. Place in oven and bake for 55 minutes.
8. In the meantime, while meatloaf is baking, make the mushroom sauce: In a large bowl, add mushrooms and onions. Cook in microwave until soft, about 5 minutes.
9. In a large nonstick pan, melt butter. Add mushrooms/onions, including its liquid. Sauté for 2 minutes. Stir often. Add wine and continue to sauté until about 80% of liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and set aside.
10. Remove meatloaf from oven after 55 minutes and let rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing. Cut into 10 slices and add to serving plate. Spoon mushroom sauce over the top.
Makes 5 servings (each serving, 2 slices meatloaf topped with about ¼ cup mushroom sauce)
Mushrooms are very nutritious. They contain fiber, iron, folate, and vitamin C. They are also very low in calories. A half of cup has only 21 calories.
Most supermarkets sell packages of 99% fat-free ground turkey breast. They’re usually packed in 1¼ pound packages. You’ll need to cut a small amount off the turkey to equal 1 pound for this recipe. Freeze the remainder or toss it.
While the meatloaf is in the oven make a yummy potato side dish. Try Dairy Free Skinny Mashed Potatoes, or Fingerling Roasted Potatoes
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 2-Blue
WW SmartPoints 3-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 5
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving (2 slices topped with about ¼ cup mushroom sauce)
216 calories, 2.6g fat, 28g protein, 19g carbs, 3g fiber, 437mg sodium, 8g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
79 calories, 0g sat. fat, 2g sugar, 2g protein