Oh my, this chicken dish is wonderful! It can be baked in the oven or made in a crock pot. The sauce is super packed with flavor, using barbecue sauce and orange juice concentrate! Each serving, including brown rice, has 294 calories, 2 grams of fat, and 8 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 9 Green. A must-try…You’ll love it! I’ve included WW points below, without rice. You can serve this over cauliflower rice or steamed shredded cabbage.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 45 minutes
Crock Pot Time: 2-2½ hours on high heat or about 4-5 on low heat (Note: Cook times vary depending on your crock-pot)
⅔ cup dry basmati brown or regular brown rice
1¼ pounds chicken breasts, boneless skinless
1 cup onions, chopped
½ cup frozen orange juice concentrate
½ cup barbecue sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray’s)
1½ tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons fresh garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon ginger (in a jar), see shopping tip
⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1. To Cook Rice: In a small pot, add rice and 1⅓ cups water. Bring to a boil, turn down to simmer, cover and cook about 30 minutes until all water is absorbed. Remove from pot and set aside.
2. To Cook Chicken in Oven: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place chicken in a 9” baking pan. Place onions on top. In a small bowl add frozen orange juice concentrate. Heat in microwave for about 20 seconds until mostly thawed. Stir in barbecue sauce, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Mix well. Pour sauce over chicken. Cover and bake for 45 minutes. When done cooking, remove chicken from pan to a plate. Shred chicken.
3. To Cook in Crock-Pot: Add chicken to crock-pot. Place onions on top. In a small bowl add frozen orange juice concentrate. Heat in microwave for about 20 seconds until mostly thawed. Stir in barbecue sauce, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Mix well. Pour sauce over chicken. Cover and cook on high heat for about 2-2½ hours. *Note: Cook times vary depending on your crock-pot. This recipe only took 2-2½ hours on high heat, in my crockpot to fully cook. Make sure to check for doneness and be prepared to cook longer, if necessary! When fully cooked, remove chicken from crockpot to a plate. Shred chicken.
4. To Thicken Sauce: Add orange sauce to a small pot. Bring to a boil, turn down to simmer, and cook uncovered for about 8 minutes.
5. To Serve: Add ½ cup rice to a plate or bowl. Place ¾ cup chicken on rice. Spoon about 3-4 tablespoons of sauce over the top.
Makes 5 servings (each serving, ¾ cup chicken, ½ cup rice, and about 3-4 tablespoons sauce)
To save time, I like to use ginger, in a jar. It can be found in the produce section of the supermarket.
This dish so is versatile can be served a variety of ways. I like it served over brown rice. My husband loves it serves over 1 slice of whole wheat bread. Or make it a sandwich using a sandwich thin. It’s terrific over steamed broccoli or assorted steamed veggies. Here are the skinny facts and WW points for just the shredded chicken and sauce:
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 5-Blue (without brown rice)
WW SmartPoints 7-Green (chicken only without rice)
WW POINTS PLUS 5 (chicken only without rice)
Skinny Facts: for ¾ cup chicken and 3-4 tablespoons sauce (no rice)
210 calories, 1g fat, 1g sat. fat, 55mg chol, 24g protein, 26g carbs, 1g fiber, 415mg sodium, 19g sugar
*WW Freestyle SmartPoints 8-Blue (with brown rice)
*WW SmartPoints 9-Green (with brown rice)
*WW POINTS PLUS 7 (with brown rice)
|SKINNY FACTS: for ¾ cup chicken and 3-4 T sauce and ½ cup brown rice
294 calories, 2g fat, 1g sat. fat, 55mg chol, 26g protein, 45g carbs, 1g fiber, 415mg sodium, 18g sugar
| FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
178 calories, 0g sat. fat, 2g protein, 19g sugar