This is my newest version of a delicious, Cobb salad. This time I’m adding a little avocado and tossing in my skinny ranch dressing. You could also toss with my skinny blue cheese dressing. So simple to create and makes a wonderful main course salad. Each serving has 248 calories, 12 grams of fat and 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes for hard boil eggs
6 slices Oscar Mayer Center Cut Bacon or Apple Gate Farms bacon, see shopping tips below
3 eggs, (you’ll use 1 egg and 2 egg whites for this recipe), see instructions below
4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
1 cup carrots, shredded
1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, diced
¼ cup avocado, diced
1. Prepare the ranch dressing. Refrigerate until ready to use.
2. To Hard Boil Eggs: Place 3 eggs in a small pot and cover with cold water. Set timer for 20 minutes. Bring water to a boil. Next, turn down to simmer and cook until timer goes off, after 20 minutes. Drain water in sink. Add cold water and ice cubes to pot, to cool eggs quickly, if desired. Once cool, peel each. Use 1 egg and 2 whites for this recipe. Toss out the 2 yolks or save for another use.. Chop eggs into small pieces.
2. To Cook Bacon:place on a microwave-safe plate lined with two sheets of paper towels. Place 6 slices of bacon in a single layer. Cover bacon with paper towels. Cook in microwave until crisp, about 4-5 minutes. Crumble cooked bacon.
3. To Assemble Each Salad: To a dinner plate, add 2 cups lettuce, ½ cup carrots,½ cup tomatoes, ½ of chopped eggs, ½ of crumbled bacon and 2 tablespoons diced avocado. Add more, if desired. Drizzle 2½ tablespoons ranch dressing over each salad.
4. This recipe can be cut down to one serving or doubled, tripled and such.
Makes 2 main course salads
I’ve combed the supermarket shelves looking for one of the leanest regular bacon choices and Oscar Meyer Center Cut Bacon is my favorite, compared to most regular bacon. It’s much lower in fat and calories. Once cooked on paper towels, the fat is even lower. I calculated my Skinny Facts using this bacon.
In addition, I recently discovered a fantastic bacon called Applegate Farms Natural Sunday Bacon. It’s low in fat and calories, uncured, contains no nitrites and gluten-free. Many supermarkets sell it. I bought mine at Vons/Safeway and Whole Foods. http://www.applegate.com/products/natural-sunday-bacon
If desired, you can toss this salad in my skinny blue cheese dressing instead of ranch: https://www.skinnykitchen.com/recipes/skinny-blue-cheese-dressing-20-calories-a-tablespoon/
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 5
Weight Watchers Points Plus 7
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 main course salad (includes dressing)
248 calories, 12g fat, 3g sat. fat, 106mg chol, 19g prot, 19g carbs, 5g fiber, 605mg sod, 4g sugar
|FACTS: for SmartPoints
191 calories, 3g sat. fat, 2g sugar, 16g protein