What makes this pizza Hawaiian? A classic combo of tomato sauce, cheese, ham and pineapple. What makes it different is all being stuffed into zucchini boats. In addition to being ridiculously easy to make, they’re a tasty and healthy way to satisfy a pizza craving! Each serving has 156 calories, 5 grams of fat and just 4 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 35 minutes
2 (16 oz total) medium zucchini (8 ounces each)
1(14 oz) jar pizza or pasta sauce (divided, about 2 cups), see shopping tips
½ teaspoon Italian seasonings
⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
Black pepper, to taste
2 ounces ham, chopped (½ cup)
2 slices from an 8 ounce can, pineapple slices, drained and chopped (refrigerate the remaining for another use)
½ cup onions, finely diced. cooked in microwave for 1 minute to soften
½ cup mozzarella cheese, (for Paleo, no cheese)
4 teaspoons Parmesan cheese (for Paleo, no cheese)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. To make zucchini boats: Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Place on a microwave-safe plate and heat in microwave for 2 minutes, to soften a little. Using a spoon or melon baller, scoop out flesh. Be sure to leave ¼ inch thick inside zucchini boats. Set aside. (toss the flesh or save and add to another dish such as a stir-fry or soup)
3. Place 1 cup sauce in bottom of a 9 x 9 inch baking dish. Place zucchini boats cut side up in pan. In a small bowl, add 1 cup sauce. Season with Italian seasonings and red pepper flakes and pepper. Stir in ham, pineapple and softened onions. Mix well.
4. To fill zucchini boats: To each, add a rounded ¼ cup tomato sauce filling, press down to set. Top each with 1-2 tablespoons pizza sauce. Sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese and top each with 1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese. Repeat for remaining zucchini boats. Cover with foil and bake 30-35 minutes until zucchini is cooked and soft.
5. Be sure to use a spatula to scoop out each zucchini boats to place on each plate. Add some sauce around each boat from the bottom of pan, if desired.
Makes 4 servings. Each serving, 1 Hawaiian Pizza Stuffed Zucchini Boat.
The Hawaiian pizza doesn’t come from anywhere near Hawaii. It comes from Ontario, and was concocted in 1962 in a restaurant serving typical midcentury food without any particular focus.
Did you know Hawaiian pizza is the most popular pizza in Australia?
There are several brands of jarred pizza sauce. I use Trader Joe’s, Classico, Prego’s or Ragu pizza sauce. If you can’t find it, use your favorite jar of pasta sauce.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints 4
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 4
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 4
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 Hawaiian Pizza Stuffed Zucchini Boat
156 calories, 5g fat, 2g sat. fat, 18mg chol, 11g prot, 20g carbs, 4g fiber, 640mg sod, 11g sugar
|FACTS: for SmartPoints
120 calories, 2g sat. fat, 6g sugar, 10g protein