Perfect for “Taco Tuesday.” These super tasty tacos make a terrific dinner. First, the fish is covered with a fabulous dry seasoning mix. Next, pan fried in a small amount of olive oil. Finally, each taco is topped with a flavorful, crunchy coleslaw. All I can say is…YUMMY! Each very filling taco has 197 calories, 5 grams of fat and 3 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Ingredients for Coleslaw:
2 cups cabbage, green or purple, shredded
1 cup apple, un-peeled and diced
¾ cup fresh corn kernels, cut from the cob or frozen and thawed
1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh lime or lemon juice
½ teaspoon honey, optional
Ingredients for Seasonings:
2 teaspoons onion powder
1½ teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika, see shopping tips
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne pepper)
Ingredients for Fish and Tortillas:
1 pound tilapia, mahi-mahi or your favorite white fish
Olive oil cooking spray or your favorite
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 corn tortillas, warmed, see shopping tips
Fresh lime or lemon slices, if desired
1. In a large bowl, add all coleslaw ingredients and toss well. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine all seasonings and toss well to blend.
3. Rinse fish and pat dry with paper towels. Dip each piece of fish into seasonings and coat well. The fish should be heavily coated on both sides.
4. Coat a large nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add olive oil and heat in pan. Place fish in pan, cover and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. The amount of time depends on how thick the fish is. Using a spatula, turn fish over and continue to cook for about 2-3 minutes until cooked through. When fish is opaque, it’s ready. Remove with spatula to a plate. Slice into strips or chunks.
5. To assemble each taco: Place ⅓ cup fish on each tortilla. Top each with a little over ⅓ cup coleslaw. Serve with lime or lemon wedges on the side, if desired.
6. Leftovers taste great the next day.
Makes 6 tacos (each serving, 1 taco and a little over ⅓ cup slaw)
I love the flavor of smoked paprika so much more than regular paprika! It smells like BBQ flavors and really enhances the flavor of any recipe that uses paprika. I strongly recommend using it in this recipe. You’ll find it in most supermarkets in the spice aisle. I bought mine at Trader Joe’s.
There are many choices of corn tortillas out there. One of the lowest in calories and fat is Mission’s 6” corn tortilla. I based my skinny facts on these tortillas.
In addition, I recently discovered Mission Foods Artisan Style Tortillas-Corn & Whole Wheat Blend. You might want to try them. They are really tasty…Each tortilla has 90 calories, 2.5g fat and 3 grams of fiber! You’ll find them in most supermarkets. Trader Joe’s has them under their own brand.
Here’s 2 ways to heat tortillas:
1. Microwave: Wrap tortillas in barely damp paper towels; microwave on High for about 30 seconds. Wrap tortillas in foil to keep warm.
2. Oven: Wrap tortillas in foil; place in a 375°F oven for about 10 minutes. Keep wrap in foil until ready to serve.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints 3
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 5
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 5
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 taco and coleslaw
197 calories, 5g fat, 1g sat. fat, 18g protein, 22g carbs, 4g fiber, 272mg sodium, 5g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
85 calories, 0g sat. fat, 1g protein, 2g sugar