Thin pizza crusts are so popular these days. So what better thing to use for ease and to make it healthier than a whole grain or whole wheat tortilla for the crust! This pizza makes such an easy weeknight dinner the whole family will love. Serve with a salad and you’re all set. Each yummy pizza has 330 calories, 7 grams of fat and 8 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints. Each pizza even has 6 grams of fiber!
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 4 minutes
2 whole grain flour tortillas or whole wheat, see shopping tips
1 cup onions, thinly sliced
⅔ cup chicken, cooked and diced into small pieces
¼ cup barbecue sauce, I like Sweet Baby Rays or Bull’s Eye
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
½ cup cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced
6 tablespoons light mozzarella cheese
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
1. Place tortillas under broiler for about 1-2 minutes to toast, turn over and broil 1 more minute to toast other sides. Keep an eye on them so they don’t burn. Remove from oven and set aside.
2. Place sliced onions on a microwave safe plate and cook in microwave for 2 minutes, to soften.
3. Add chicken to a small bowl. Toss with 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce and balsamic vinegar.
4. To Assemble Pizza: Spread each tortilla with ½ tablespoon barbecue sauce. Use the back of a spoon to spread. Top each with ½ of chicken/barbecue sauce mixture and spread around. Place ½ of the onions all over the top of each pizza. Sprinkle each with ¼ cup tomatoes. Finally, top each with 3 tablespoons light mozzarella cheese and ½ tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
5. Place on a baking sheet and broil for about 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted and tortilla is browned. Keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.
6. Remove from oven. Place each on a dinner plate. Pull apart with your hands into pieces to eat or serve with a fork and sharp knife, if desired.
Makes 2 tortilla pizzas (this recipe can easily doubled, tripled and so on)
I used Trader Joe’s whole grain flour tortillas. They are terrific. Each has 120 calories, 2.5 grams of fat and 4 grams of fiber. Most supermarkets sell whole grain flour or whole wheat flour tortillas.
I also used the lite mozzarella cheese at Trader Joe’s.
Sometimes I like to top this pizza with a garden salad tossed in my skinny ranch dressing. It taste really yummy this way. The barbecue sauce on the pizza and the ranch dressing on the salad makes for a winning combination!
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints 8
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 9
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 8
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 tortilla pizza
330 calories, 7g fat, 2g sat. fat, 36mg chol, 23g prot, 44g carb, 6g fiber, 654mg sod, 13g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
230 calories, 1g sat. fat, 13g sugar, 8g protein