Thin pizza crusts are so popular these days. So what better thing to use for ease and to make it healthier than whole grain or whole wheat tortilla for the crust! This pizza makes such an easy weeknight dinner the whole family will love. Serve with a salad and you’re all set. Each yummy pizza has 330 calories, 7 grams of fat, and 8Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 9 Green. Each pizza has 6 grams of fiber!
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 4 minutes
2 whole-grain flour tortillas or whole wheat, see shopping tips
1 cup onions, thinly sliced
⅔ cup chicken, cooked and diced into small pieces
¼ cup barbecue sauce, I like Sweet Baby Rays or Bull’s Eye
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
½ cup cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced
6 tablespoons light mozzarella cheese
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
1. Place tortillas under the broiler for about 1-2 minutes to toast, turn over and broil 1 more minute to toast other sides. Keep an eye on them so they don’t burn. Remove from oven and set aside.
2. Place sliced onions on a microwave-safe plate and cook in microwave for 2 minutes, to soften.
3. Add chicken to a small bowl. Toss with 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce and balsamic vinegar.
4. To Assemble Pizza: Spread each tortilla with ½ tablespoon barbecue sauce. Use the back of a spoon to spread. Top each with ½ of chicken/barbecue sauce mixture and spread around. Place ½ of the onions all over the top of each pizza. Sprinkle each with ¼ cup tomatoes. Finally, top each with 3 tablespoons of light mozzarella cheese and ½ tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
5. Place on a baking sheet and broil for about 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted and tortilla is browned. Keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.
6. Remove from oven. Place each on a dinner plate. Pull apart with your hands into pieces to eat or serve with a fork and sharp knife, if desired.
Makes 2 tortilla pizzas (this recipe can easily double, tripled, and so on)
I used Trader Joe’s whole grain flour tortillas. They are terrific. Each has 120 calories, 2.5g fat, and 4 grams of fiber. Most supermarkets sell whole grain flour or whole wheat flour tortillas.
I also used the lite mozzarella cheese at Trader Joe’s.
Sometimes I like to top this pizza with a garden salad tossed in my skinny ranch dressing. It tastes really yummy this way. The barbecue sauce on the pizza and the ranch dressing on the salad makes for a winning combination!
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 8-Blue
WW SmartPoints 9-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 8
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 tortilla pizza
330 calories, 7g fat, 2g sat. fat, 36mg chol, 23g prot, 44g carb, 6g fiber, 654mg sod, 13g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
230 calories, 1g sat. fat, 13g sugar, 8g protein