Love cheddar topped hamburgers? Think outside the bun with this yummy cheeseburger casserole baked in a flaky pie crust. It’s comfort food at its best! Makes an easy any night of the week dinner. Each hearty slice has 326 calories 14 grams of fat 10 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints. and, 10 Green
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
1 pound extra-lean ground beef, see shopping tips
1 cup onions, diced small
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
1½ teaspoon Lawry’s seasoning salt or hamburger seasoning
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon mustard
1 cup low-fat cottage cheese, I used Knudsen 2%
Black pepper, to taste
1 (8-oz) can Pillsbury Reduced Fat Crescent Rolls, see shopping tips
1 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9 x 9-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a large nonstick pan, over medium-high heat, add ground beef, onions, garlic, and seasoning salt. Cook about 7 to 8 minutes until ground beef is browned. Be sure to break up beef as it cooks. Remove from heat.
3. To beef mixture, stir in Worcestershire sauce, ketchup and mustard. Place cottage cheese in a blender and add 2-3 tablespoons water. Blend until smooth. Stir pureed cottage cheese into beef mixture and combine. Season with a little black pepper, to taste. Or, if desired, you can skip this step and just stir cottage cheese into beef mixture.
4. Next, line baking dish with crescent rolls. Start by separating each individual triangle. Be sure to spread along bottom and half way up all sides to form a crust. Gently poke a few holes around the crust with a fork.
5. Pre-bake pie crust for 7 minutes in oven. Remove pie crust from oven and add ground beef mixture to bottom of crust. Place tomato slices on top of beef mixture. Sprinkle cheddar cheese evenly over tomatoes and all-around top of pie. Bake in oven for 18-20 minutes until cheese is melted and crust is golden.
6. Cool a bit and cut into six slices. This casserole freezes wonderfully.
Makes 6 servings. Each 1 slice.
I used Trader Joe’s extra lean ground beef (96/4). Most supermarkets sell extra lean ground beef.
Pillsbury Reduced Fat Crescent Rolls are sold in most supermarkets in the refrigerated section where other biscuits and cookie dough are sold. They are 90 calories per crescent roll.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 10-Blue
WW SmartPoints 10-Green
WW PointsPlus 9
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 slice
326 calories, 14g fat, 6g sat. fat, 51mg chol, 28g prot, 25g carbs, 1g fiber, 844mg sod, 7g sugar