Here’s an easy, low-calorie, low-carb chicken dish and it’s wonderful tasting! Enjoy this one-pan meal in about 30 minutes. The chicken thighs are perfectly cooked, tender, and juicy. The fresh asparagus works really with them. Each serving has just 204 calories, 12 grams of fat, and 4 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 4 Green.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed and sliced into 3 inch pieces
4 chicken thighs, boneless skinless (~4-5 ounces each)
Salt and pepper, to taste (I used Trader Joe’s Garlic salt instead of salt), see shopping tips
2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light, divided
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1½ teaspoons dried Italian seasonings
Salt and pepper to taste, (I used Trader Joe’s Garlic salt instead of salt)
½ fresh lemon
1. Add asparagus pieces to a microwave-safe bowl or plate. Cook for 3-4 minutes to soften a bit. I like to soften the asparagus briefly in the microwave so it becomes very tender once cooked with the chicken.
2. Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Melt 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil together in a large, nonstick pan/skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in garlic and herbs and cook another minute until the garlic is fragrant. Reduce heat to medium, add chicken to pan, and cook for 5 minutes, then flip and cook another 5-7 minutes. (Chicken should be almost done but not completely through by this point)
3. Move the chicken thighs over to the sides and add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and 1 teaspoon olive oil to the middle of the pan. When the butter is melted, add softened asparagus. Season asparagus with salt or garlic salt and pepper, to taste. Squeeze the juice of ½ lemon all over the top. Continue to cook asparagus, rotating throughout, for 4-6 minutes until very tender and chicken is completely cooked through.
4. Remove chicken and asparagus to a serving plate. Scrape the bottom and sides of the pan and drizzle the liquid over the chicken.
5. Any leftovers freeze great.
Makes 4 servings. Each 1 chicken thigh with asparagus.
Trader Joe’s Garlic Salt is my all-time favorite salt. It’s not like any other garlic salt which is usually very salty. This has more of a seasoned garlic flavor without being too salty. It’s wonderful to use in the dish and fabulous over roasted or steamed veggies, eggs, popcorn, and such. The possibilities are endless!
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 4-Blue
WW SmartPoints 4–Green
WW Points Plus 6
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 chicken thigh with asparagus
204 calories, 12g fat, 2g sat fat, 95mg chol, 23g prot, 6g carbs, 325mg sod, 2g fiber, 2g sugar
|FACTS: for SmartPoints
175 calories, 2g sat. fat, 20g protein, 0g sugar