It’s such a fun main course dish that everyone will love! No need to fire up the grill…Your crock-pot will do all the cooking. If you’re not cooking for a crowd don’t worry, it freezes great. Each very filling sandwich has 280 calories, 7 grams of fat and 6 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 7 Green. I included the skinny facts and points for a low carb version. See below.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: low heat 6-7 hours, high heat, 3-4 hours
Ingredients for Crock-Pot:
1½ pounds chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
3 cups onions, sliced
2 cups red bell pepper, sliced
2 cups yellow, orange or green bell pepper, sliced
1 (10 oz) package of mushrooms, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup barbecue sauce
1 (1 ounce) packet Italian dressing dry mix, see shopping tips
1 (14oz) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
Ingredients for Sandwiches:
8 hot dog buns, use your favorite, see shopping tips
1 cup reduced-fat cheddar or mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. Coat the crock-pot with non-stick cooking spray. Place chicken in crock-pot. Top with onions, sliced bell peppers, mushrooms, and garlic. Add barbecue sauce and sprinkle the packet of Italian dressing seasoning mix over the top. Pour the chicken broth all over.
2. Cover and cook on low for about 6-7 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high. The time varies depending on your crock-pot. Mine took 6 hours on low. Remove chicken from crock-pot and cut into slices. Add chicken back to vegetables and sauce in crock-pot. Mix to blend.
3. To assemble each sandwich: On a baking sheet, add the hot dog bun and add 1 cup chicken filling onto the bun. Spoon 3 tablespoons sauce over the chicken. Top with 2 tablespoons cheese. Assemble all the sandwiches you want to serve on the baking sheet. Place in the oven and broil for a couple of minutes to melt the cheese and toast the buns. Keep an eye on it so they don’t burn.
4. Add each to a plate. Serve with a fork and knife. You’re going to need it. Too messy to eat with your hands but oh so good!
5. For a low carb option: Add 1 cup chicken mixture to each bowl. Spoon 3 tablespoons sauce over the top. Sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons cheese and serve with a fork and knife. Or, make it a cheesesteak salad.
Makes 8 cups total (8 sandwiches) Each sandwich, 1 cup chicken filling, 3 tablespoons sauce and 2 tablespoons cheese
The cheesesteak was developed in the early 20th century by combining beef, onions, and cheese in a small loaf of bread. Philadelphians Pat and Harry Olivieri are often credited with inventing the sandwich by serving chopped steak on an Italian roll in the early 1930s. Today there are many variations. A cheesesteak made with chicken instead of beef is called a chicken cheesesteak.
Most supermarkets sell (1 oz) packages of Italian Dressing Seasoning mix. I used Good Seasons Italian Dressing Mix or their Zesty Italian. You find it in the aisle where bottled salad dressing is sold.
Classic hot dog buns usually have the lowest calories and fat. Most contain 110 calories and 1.5 grams of fat. I based the skinny facts using these. That said, I personally like using Trader Joe’s honey wheat hot dog buns. Each has 160 calories and 2.5 grams of fat.
WW Freestyle Smart Points 3-Blue (1 cup chicken filling, 3 T sauce, and 2 T cheese. (No bun)
WW Smart Points 4-Green (1 cup chicken filling, 3 T sauce, and 2 T cheese. (No bun)
WW POINTS PLUS 4 (1 cup chicken filling, 3 T sauce, and 2 T cheese. (No bun)
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 6-Blue with bun
WW SmartPoints 7-Green with bun
WW POINTS PLUS 7 with bun
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 cup chicken filling and sauce, 2 tablespoon cheese and 1 hot dog bun
280 calories, 7g fat, 2g sat. fat, 51mg chol, 27g prot, 31g carbs, 2g fiber, 883mg sodium, 7g sugar
SKINNY FACTS: for 1 cup chicken filling, sauce and cheese without bun (low carb option)
170 calories, 5g fat, 0mg chol, 24g prot, 10g carbs, 2g fiber, 673mg sodium, 4g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints includes cheese (with bun)
172 calories, 2g sat. fat, 7g protein, 9g sugar
FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints includes cheese (w/out bun)
81 calories, 2g sat. fat, 4g protein, 6g sugar