I really love a good cheeseburger and fries but seldom eat them. And when I do, it’s not without a little guilt. But you can enjoy every bite of this casserole, guilt-free! It has all the yummy flavors of a cheeseburger and fries. One way it’s so low in calories and fat is because I’m not adding a lot of light cheddar cheese rather using cottage cheese to create a cheesy flavor. The cottage cheese completely melts into the casserole. Each yummy serving has just 166 calories, 3 grams of fat, and 3 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 4 Green.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for Casserole:
½ pound 96% lean ground beef, I used grass-fed (freeze the rest for another use)
½ cup chopped onion
1 (8 ounces) can tomato sauce (1 cup)
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon mustard or spicy brown mustard
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cups frozen Ore Ida hash brown potatoes (not thawed) diced not shredded, see shopping tips
½ cup fat-free cottage cheese
¼ cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt fat-free sour cream
2 egg whites (¼ cup)
6 tablespoons reduced-fat cheddar cheese
Ingredients for Topping: Optional
1 dill pickle, chopped into small pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a 9 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a large nonstick pan, cook the beef or turkey and onions until meat is browned. Stir often, breaking up the meat into a crumble. Drain the fat in the sink. Stir in tomato sauce, ketchup, mustard, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Mix well. Remove from heat.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together the cottage cheese, sour cream, and egg whites.
4. To Assemble Casserole: Spread all the frozen potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish, breaking up the pieces. Top with all the meat mixture, spreading evenly. Top with cottage mixture and spread over the entire top. Sprinkle the top evenly with cheddar cheese.
5. Bake, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until heated through.. Let rest for at least 5 minutes and cut into 6 slices. Top each with a little chopped dill pickle before serving, if desired
Makes 6 servings. Each serving, 1 slice
Ore Ida diced frozen hash brown potatoes can be found in the freezer section of most supermarkets. They come diced and contain no fat, just potatoes. Diced potatoes work much better for this recipe than the usual shredded ones.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints-3 Blue
WW SmartPoints-4 Green
WW POINTS PLUS 4
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 slice
166 calories, 3g fat, 1g sat. fat, 18mg chol, 15g prot, 20g carbs, 3g fiber, 565mg sodium, 4g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
122 calories, 0g sat. fat, 10g protein, 1g sugar