Potato gratin is a beloved dish but this cauliflower gratin makes a fabulous healthy version. It’s a super rich-tasting, cheesy, vegetarian side dish, or main course dish. And yummy to serve as a side to chicken, beef, pork, or fish. So lovely, you can even serve it for company. Each serving has 147 calories, 5 grams of fat and 3 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 3 Green.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
1 head cauliflower, divided into 1-inch florets
1 cups onions, chopped
2 tablespoons light butter or SmartBalance light
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon dried mustard
1½ cups reduced-fat (2%) cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
⅔ cup buttermilk or reduced-fat milk
Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
6 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 9 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Prepare the cauliflower into 1-inch florets. Add the florets to a pot of boiling water and cook, covered for about 5-8 minutes, until tender-crisp. Drain. Set aside.
3. Place onions in a microwave-safe small bowl and cook for about 1 minute in the microwave until soft. Melt butter in a medium non-stick pan. Add softened onions, garlic, and dried mustard. Sauté for 2 minutes. Stir continuously.
4. In a blender, add cooked onions, garlic, cottage cheese, buttermilk, and a little salt and pepper. Process until smooth. Add back to pan and mix in cooked cauliflower. Be sure to use a rubber spatula so as to not mash the cauliflower. Pour into baking pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese all over the top of casserole.
5. Bake until golden brown and sauce is bubbly, 35-40 minutes. Let gratin rest 10 minutes before slicing into 6 servings. This casserole will keep in the refrigerator for a few days and freezes great.
Makes 6 servings (each serving, 1 slice)
I call this dish Cauliflower Gratin but it’s kinda similar to a traditional British dish called cauliflower cheese. That dish consists of pieces of cauliflower lightly boiled and covered with a milk-based cheese sauce
This casserole can be eaten as a main course, for dinner or as a side dish to fish, chicken or beef.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 3-Blue
WW SmartPoints 3-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 4
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving
147 calories, 5g fat, 2g sat. fat, 19mg chol, 13g protein, 15g carbs, 4g fiber, 462mg sod, 7g sugar
|FACTS for Freestyle SmartPoints
100 calories, 2g sat. fat, 10g protein, 3g sugar