I love a healthy bran muffin to start the day and these are so, so good! They’re loaded with super healthy ingredients and chock full of fiber. Actually, 7 grams per muffin. I like to keep them in the freezer. At a moment’s notice, you can defrost one in about 30 seconds. Each filling muffin has 249 calories, 5 grams of fat, 9 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 9 Green.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
3 cups natural wheat bran (not bran cereal)
1 cup boiling water
2 ½ cups whole wheat flour, see shopping tips
1 tablespoon baking soda
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons vanilla
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup light butter or Smart Balance light softened
⅔ cup honey
2 large eggs
2 cups unsweetened almond/ coconut milk, almond milk, or buttermilk, if using dairy, see shopping tips
½ cup blackstrap molasses
1½ cups raisins
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat 2 nonstick, if possible, muffin pans with cooking spray.
2. Measure wheat bran into a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Stir and let sit.
3. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
4. To a mixer, cream butter, and honey. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Whisk in the almond milk or buttermilk molasses and vanilla. Add flour mixture and stir gently until almost combined. Stir in wheat bran mixture and raisins. Mix gently just until incorporated. Do not over mix!
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted, comes out clean.
6. Cool in pan for 5 minutes then carefully remove to a cooling rack or plate.
Makes 16 muffins
Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Breeze (Almond Coconut Blend) can be found in most supermarkets in the refrigerated section near the milk. It’s also sold in a shelf staple container. Both are delicious! I also buy it at Target. It’s so yummy and has only 40 calories per cup! Or use your favorite unsweetened, nondairy drink such as vanilla almond or vanilla coconut milk.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 9-Blue
WW SmartPoints 9-Green
WW Points Plus 7
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 muffin
249 calories, 5g fat, 0g sat. fat, 33mg chol, 50g carbs, 5g prot, 494mg sod, 7g fiber, 20g sugar,