This casserole might be light in calories but it’s big on taste! It’s perfect for breakfast, brunch or even dinner! I actually love breakfast for dinner. This is hearty enough to make a very satisfying dinner. Each generous serving has 290 calories, 17g fat, and 7 Blue WW Freestyle Points, and 9 Green.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 60 minutes
3 slices bacon, I used no nitrate, uncured, see shopping tips
4 cups frozen tater tots, not defrosted
1 (9.6 oz) pkg Johnsonville fully cooked turkey sausages (70 %) less fat, sliced into pieces, see shopping tips
Black pepper, to taste
¾ teaspoon ground thyme
½ teaspoon ground sage
⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
½ cup (2 oz) 50% reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I used Cabot)
5 large eggs
¼ cup reduced-fat milk (2%)
A little salt and pepper, to taste
Small pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
2 tablespoons sliced scallions, optional for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9×9 inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Place bacon on a microwave-safe plate lined with paper towels. Cover bacon with more paper towels. Cook in microwave for about 4 minutes until crisp. Blot, cool slightly and crumble bacon.
3. Add frozen tater tots into the casserole dish and arrange them into a single layer. Sprinkle sausage pieces evenly across the top of tater tots. Sprinkle crumbled bacon over top of the sausages. Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese over top of the bacon.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, scallions (if using), a little salt black pepper and red pepper flakes, if desired. Beat eggs and seasonings with a whisk. When beaten, pour eggs over top of cheese layer in the casserole dish.
5. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until eggs are cooked through and a toothpick inserted into the center of the casserole comes out clean. Cool slightly and cut into 6 slices.
Makes 6 servings. Each serving 1 slice. Leftovers freeze great!
I love Johnsonville fully cooked breakfast turkey sausages. They have 70% less fat, no fillers or msg. Each link has only 35 calories and 2 grams of fat. You’ll find them at most supermarkets in the same section where other sausages and bacon are sold. They can be stored in the freezer if you aren’t using them very often.
Happily, now there are so many healthier bacon options with no nitrites, uncured, and even reduced-sodium. I like Oscar Mayer Select Natural or Applegate Farms Natural Sunday Bacon. Many supermarkets carry these brands. I bought them at Vons/Safeway and Whole Foods. So next time you’re at the supermarket, check out these options.
WW Freestyle Points 7-Blue
WW SmartPoints 9-Green
WW Points Plus 7
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving
290 calories, 17g fat, 5g sat. fat, 194mg chol, 19g prot, 14g carbs, 2g fiber, 875mg sod, 2g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle Points
229 calories, 4g sat. fat, 13g protein, 1g sugar