Super filling and oh so delicious! This easy casserole is loaded with tortellini, fresh spinach, pizza sauce, and reduced-fat mozzarella cheese. Each yummy serving has 314 calories, 13 grams of fat, and 10 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 10 Green. An effortless pasta dinner the whole family will love!
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Bake Time: 20-25 minutes
1 (9 oz) pkg Buitoni Spinach & Cheese Tortellini or Cheese Tortellini, see shopping tips
2 cups fresh spinach leaves, packed (Cook in microwave 2 minutes to soften, then chop)
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1¼ cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese (reserve ½ cup for topping)
1 large egg
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
¼ teaspoon salt
Black pepper, to taste
1½ cup jarred pizza or marinara sauce, I used Classico pizza sauce (14 oz) jar
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9-inch square baking dish with olive oil cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Cook spinach tortellini according to pkg. directions. I cooked mine for 6 minutes (al dente)
3. In a medium bowl, cook fresh spinach in microwave for 2 minutes, to soften.
3. In a large bowl, combine ricotta, ¾ cup mozzarella cheese, egg, cooked spinach, 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, ¼ teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Mix with a rubber spatula so tortellini won’t break.
4. In a baking dish, spread ¾ cup pizza sauce on bottom of dish. Using the rubber spatula and spread tortellini mixture over sauce. Top with ¾ cup more sauce. Sprinkle top with ½ cup mozzarella cheese and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil and bake about 20-25 minutes, until hot and cheese is melted.
5. Cool slightly and slice into 6 servings. This casserole freezes great!
Makes 6 servings. Each serving, 1 slice
I like to use either Buitoni Spinach & Cheese Tortellini or cheese tortellini. Trader Joe’s also sells pkgs. of Cheese tortellini. It’s fresh pasta and is found in the refrigerated section. Most supermarkets carry Buitoni or use Trader Joe’s or your favorite.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 10-Blue
WW SmartPoints 10-Green
WW Points Plus 8
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 slice
314 calories, 13g fat, 6g sat. fat, 74mg chol, 21g prot, 30g carbs, 1g fiber, 830mg sod, 7g sugar
Clarification: 2 cups of spinach–measured before or after cooking?
Sorry for the confusion Susan. It’s 2 cups fresh spinach leaves uncooked.
I just adjusted the recipe to say-2 cups fresh spinach leaves, packed (Cook in microwave 2 minutes to soften, then chop)
All the best,