This chicken dish is melt in your mouth delicious! So easy, you can enjoy this gourmet dish any night of the week. Each serving has 202 calories, 8 grams of fat and 2 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients for Chicken:
1 pound chicken breasts, boneless skinless (you can use 2 large chicken breasts, butterflied, then cut in half to make 4 breasts)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1 slice whole wheat or multigrain bread, (see instructions below to make bread crumbs)
1 large egg, beaten
Olive oil spray
2 teaspoons olive oil
Ingredients for Sauce:
1 tablespoon reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
¼ cup white wine
1 lemon, juiced
1 tablespoon capers
2 tablespoons scallions or chives, chopped (for garnish)
1. Cut chicken into 4 pieces. Place each chicken breast between 2 sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap and pound out to ¼-inch thick. Add chicken to a plate and drizzle 1 tablespoon lemon juice over the chicken breasts. Sprinkle both sides with a little salt, pepper and garlic powder.
2. To make bread crumbs. Toast bread and break into pieces. Add to a blender. Grind into crumbs. Place the bread crumbs on a plate. In a shallow bowl, add the egg and beat well. Dip each chicken breast first in the egg, then bread crumbs.
3. In a large nonstick pan, spray a generous amount of olive oil spray. Add olive oil, to heat. Add the breaded chicken breasts. Cover pan and cook chicken for 3 minutes. Using a spatula, carefully turn over chicken, cover and cook for about more 2 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside while you make the sauce.
4. To make the sauce: In a small saucepan, melt butter. Add chicken broth, wine and lemon juice and a little salt, and pepper. Boil over medium-high heat until reduced in half, about 2 minutes. Stir in capers.
5. To serve: add 1 chicken breast to each plate. Divide sauce and spoon over each chicken breast. Sprinkle a little scallions or chives over each serving, if desired.
Makes 4 servings
Chicken piccata is a traditional Italian dish, popular in Italian restaurants. Piccata means tart or zesty. This dish has a lovely tart sauce, with traditional additions of lemon juice, white wine and capers.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints 2
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 4
Weight Watchers (old points) 5
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving
202 cal, 8g fat, 1g sat. fat, 98mg chol, 28g prot, 7g carb, 1g fiber, 333mg sod, 2g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
70 calories, 1g sat. fat, 1g protein, 1g sugar