An oldie but goodie diner favorite, this southern comfort food is absolutely delicious! Commonly made with steak, I’m using lean pork. This skinny makeover is made in an air fryer which makes the pork chops very tender and crispy on the outside. If you don’t have one yet, I suggest you buy one soon. You’ll love it!
*Plus, below I’ve included directions for baking in oven under prep tips. Each pork chop, with gravy, has 287 calories, 16 grams of fat and 7 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 13 minutes
Ingredients for Pork Chops:
Olive oil cooking spray
6 (~¾-inch thick) center cut boneless pork chops, fat trimmed (~5 oz each)
Salt and pepper
1 large egg, beaten
2 tablespoons light butter or Smart Balance light
½ cup panko crumbs
⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon cornmeal
1½ teaspoons smoked paprika, see shopping tips
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon chili powder
⅛ teaspoon black pepper
Ingredients for Topping:
¾ cup jarred chicken gravy, I used Heinz chicken gravy
1. Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees and lightly coat air fryer basket with cooking spray.
2. Season pork chops on both sides with a little salt and pepper.
3. In a large shallow bowl, combine panko crumbs, cornmeal, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, onion powder, chili powder and black pepper.
4. In another shallow bowl add the egg and beat like scrambled eggs. Dip each pork chop into melted butter, then egg and finally crumb mixture.
5. When air fryer is ready, place 3 pork chops into prepared basket and spray the top of pork chops with cooking spray. Cook 6 minutes. Turn pork chops over, and coat them with more cooking spray. Continue to cook on other side for 7 minutes. Set aside and repeat with remaining 3 pork chops.
6. Before serving, heat gravy. Plate each and drizzle 2 tablespoons chicken gravy over each or serve warmed gravy on the side
Makes 6 servings. Each 1 pork chop with gravy.
I love the flavor of smoked paprika so much more than regular paprika! It smells like BBQ flavors and really enhances the flavor of any recipe that uses paprika. I strongly recommend using it in this recipe. You’ll find it in most supermarkets in the spice aisle. I bought mine at Trader Joe’s.
To bake in oven instead of air-fryer:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Melt a little light butter or SmartBalance light in a 9×13 inch baking pan.
2. Follow steps 2, 3 and 4 above.
3. Add breaded pork chops to baking pan. Place in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Turn chops and bake for another 10 minutes, or until no pink remains in the meat and juices run clear.
4. Before serving, heat gravy. Plate each and drizzle 2 tablespoons chicken gravy over each or serve warmed gravy on the side
While some cuts of pork, such as bacon, come loaded with fat, boneless pork chops offer a leaner option. In addition to protein, they contain vitamins and minerals that benefit your health.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 7–Blue
WW SmartPoints 8-Green
WW Points Plus 8
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 pork chop with gravy
287 calories, 16g fat, 5g sat. fat, 104mg chol, 26g prot, 11g carbs, 1g fiber, 335mg sod, 0g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
273 calories, 5g sat. fat, 25g protein, 0g sugar