Oh my this chicken dish is wonderful! It can be baked in the oven or made in a crock-pot. The sauce is super packed with flavor, using barbecue sauce and orange juice concentrate! Each skinny serving has 294 calories, 1 gram of fat and 7 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. This includes serving over brown rice. The points plus are cut to 5 if served over veggies, see serving tips below. A must try…You’ll love it!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 45 minutes
Crock Pot Time: varies depending on crock-pot
⅔ cup dry basmati brown or regular brown rice
1¼ pounds chicken breasts, boneless skinless
1 cup onions, chopped
½ cup frozen orange juice concentrate
½ cup barbecue sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray’s)
1½ tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons fresh garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon ginger (in a jar), see shopping tip
⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1. To Cook Rice: In a small pot, add rice and 1⅓ cups water. Bring to a boil, turn down to simmer, cover and cook about 30 minutes until all water is absorbed. Remove from pot and set aside.
2. To Cook Chicken in Oven: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place chicken in a 9” baking pan. Place onions on top. In a small bowl add frozen orange juice concentrate. Heat in microwave for about 20 seconds until mostly thawed. Stir in barbecue sauce, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes. Mix well. Pour sauce over chicken. Cover and bake for 45 minutes. When done cooking, remove chicken from pan to a plate. Shred chicken.
3. To Cook in Crock-Pot: Add chicken to crock-pot. Place onions on top. In a small bowl add frozen orange juice concentrate. Heat in microwave for about 20 seconds until mostly thawed. Stir in barbecue sauce, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes. Mix well. Pour sauce over chicken. Cover and cook on high for about 2-2½ hours. *Note: Cook times vary depending on your crock-pot. This recipe only took 2-2½ hours in my crock pot to be fully cook. Make sure to check for doneness and be prepared to cook longer, if necessary! When fully cooked, remove chicken from crock pot to a plate. Shred chicken.
4. To Thicken Sauce: Add orange sauce to a small pot. Bring to a boil, turn down to simmer and cook uncovered for about 8 minutes.
5. To Serve: Add ½ cup rice to a plate or bowl. Place ¾ cup chicken on rice. Spoon about 3-4 tablespoons of sauce over the top.
Makes 5 servings (each serving, ¾ cup chicken, ½ cup rice and about 3-4 tablespoons sauce)
To save time, I like to use ginger, in a jar. It can be found in the produce section of the supermarket.
This dish so is versatile can be served a variety of ways. I like it served over brown rice. My husband loves it serves over 1 slice of whole wheat bread. Or make it a sandwich using a sandwich thin. It’s terrific over steamed broccoli or assorted steamed veggies. Here’s the skinny facts and WW points for just the shredded chicken and sauce:
Weight Watchers (old points) 4 (chicken only without rice)
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 5 (chicken only without rice)
Skinny Facts: for ¾ cup chicken and 3-4 tablespoons sauce (no rice)
210 calories, 1g fat, 24g protein, 26g carbs, 1g fiber, 415mg sodium, 19g sugar
Weight Watchers (old points) 6 (with brown rice)
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 7 (with brown rice)
|SKINNY FACTS:for ¾ cup chicken and 3-4T sauce and ½ cup brown rice
294 calories, 1g fat, 26g protein, 45g carbs, 1g fiber, 415mg sodium, 18g sugar
|FAT FACTS: the skinny and fat facts are the same for this recipe|