I’ve had many requests to create a skinny breakfast casserole, so I’m very excited to share this incredibly delicious, easy to make one! It’s so hearty and includes the fabulous Denver omelette flavors of eggs, ham, bell peppers and cheese all loaded into a cornbread casserole. This casserole serves 6 and each serving has 294 calories, 9.8 grams of fat and 8 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. Cut it into 8 slices and each serving has 6 POINTS PLUS! Perfect for a weekend breakfast or brunch. Since it freezes great, you can make it over the weekend and freeze the leftovers to enjoy for a quick weekday breakfast or another weekend meal.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Chill Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 45 minutes
1¼ cups onions, chopped
1 cup red bell peppers, chopped
2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
1 cup (4 ounces) ham, chopped, see shopping tip
½ cup fat-free milk
2 eggs, I like using Egg-Land’s Best eggs
2 egg whites (¼ cup)
1 teaspoons garlic powder
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1 (8.5 oz) box Jiffy’s Corn Muffin Mix, see shopping tip
½ cup nonfat plain yogurt or nonfat Greek yogurt
¼ cup light cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a 9 x 9” baking pan with cooking spray.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, add onions, red bell peppers and butter. Cook in microwave on high for about 3-4 minutes until soft. Set in refrigerator to chill for 10 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the cooled onion mixture, ham, milk, eggs, egg whites, garlic powder and pepper. Blend well. Stir in cornbread mix and only stir until blended. The batter will be a bit bumpy. Spread cornbread batter into prepared pan.
4. Using a rubber spatula, spread yogurt over the top of the casserole. It won’t cover completely.
5. Sprinkle cheese evenly over top of yogurt.
6. Bake for 45 minutes so the entire casserole will be cooked through. It will look very dark golden brown.
7. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into 6 slices. This casserole may be made ahead of time, refrigerated and reheated. It also freezes great!
Makes 6 servings (each serving, 1 slice)
Most supermarkets sell Jiffy corn muffin mix in the baking aisle. If you can’t find it use another brand that is about 8.5 ounces.
Trader Joe’s sells (8 oz) packages of Black Forest ham. It’s uncured and contains ‘no nitrates.’ Most health food markets sell this type of ham too.
Cut Down Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS Tip
If you’re looking to make this dish lower in points, make the serving size 8 instead of 6. It’s still very satisfying. You can serve it with some fresh fruit on the side.
Weight Watchers (old points) 5 (if casserole makes 8 servings)
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 6 (if casserole makes 8 servings)
Weight Watchers (old points) 7
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 8
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 slice
294 calories, 9.8g fat, 12g protein, 38g carbs, 1g fiber, 681mg sodium, 11g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 slice made with regular ingredients
470 calories, 25g fat, 20g protein, 38g carbs, 1g fiber, 897mg sodium, 10g sugar