Several years ago, I had dinner at a restaurant in LA, at The Grove, when I first tasted a dish like this. My husband and I ordered it to share. One bite and we were smitten! I couldn’t wait to get into my kitchen to remake it. My husband said this skinny version was just as good as the full-fat one and I completely agree! Each dinner size portion has 293 calories, 13 grams of fat and 6 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 6 Green. It’s equally fun to serve for an appetizer. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
6 cups yellow onions (~1½ large onions), peeled and sliced into rings
2 large bell peppers (4 cups) sliced (about ¼ inch thick), I used 1 red and 1 yellow bell pepper
1 (12-ounce) package, fully cooked reduced-fat chicken or turkey sausages (4 sausages), I used Trader Joe’s garlic herb chicken sausages, see shopping tips
3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon dried basil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
1. In a large microwave-safe bowl, add the sliced onions and bell peppers. Cook on high in microwave for 8-10 minutes, until soft.
2. In the meantime, cut the 4 sausages into thin slices, about ¼ inch thick. Coat a large, nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add the sausage slices and cook until slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir often. Remove sausages to a plate.
3. In the same pan, coat again with cooking spray. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil. Add the cooked onions and bell peppers, oregano, basil, a little salt, and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the vegetables are soft and slightly caramelized, about 10 minutes. If the pan gets too dry, add 1 more teaspoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of water. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant and soft, 1 minute. Return the sausages to the pan. Add 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar. Mix everything together and continue to cook, stirring, until warmed through and well blended, about 2 minutes.
4. Arrange the sausages, peppers, and onions on a platter.
5. Serve with mustard on the side and toasted bread or rolls, if desired.
Makes 4 main course servings. Each serving 1¼ cup.
Make 6-8 appetizer servings
Trader Joe’s has a terrific selection of reduced-fat chicken sausages. I love their garlic herb but they sell other varieties such as chicken apple, spicy Italian, and spicy jalapeño. Each 12 oz package contains 4 fully cooked sausages. The garlic herb contains 130 calories, 7g fat, 17g protein, 0g carbs, 0g fiber, 510mg sodium, 0g sugar.
If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s in your town, look for other reduced-fat brands in your supermarket. Most of these sausages have from 6-8 grams of fat each. I also like Brat Han’s line of healthy, fully cooked sausages sold at Whole Foods. Jody Maroni’s Smoked Chicken Apple Sausages would also work for this recipe. Or, use your favorite fully cooked sausages.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 6-Blue
WW SmartPoints 6-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 8
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving (1¼ cups) (based on using Trader Joe’s sausages)
293 calories, 13g fat, 2g sat. fat, 65mg chol, 21g prot, 31g carbs, 6g fiber, 593mg sodium, 6g sugar
|FACTS: for SmartPoints
253 calories, 2g sat. fat, 0g sugar, 20g protein