This is an incredibly delicious, easy breakfast casserole. It’s so hearty and includes the fabulous Denver omelet flavors of eggs, ham, bell peppers, and cheese all loaded into a cornbread casserole. This casserole serves 6 and each serving has 294 calories, 10 grams of fat and 8 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 9 Green. Perfect for a weekend breakfast or brunch. Since it freezes great, you can make it over the weekend and freeze the leftovers to enjoy for a quick weekday breakfast or another weekend meal.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Chill Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 45 minutes
1¼ cups onions, chopped
1 cup red bell peppers, chopped
2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
1 cup (4 ounces) ham, chopped, see shopping tips
½ cup fat-free milk
2 eggs, I like using Egg-Land’s Best eggs
2 egg whites (¼ cup)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1 (8.5 oz) box Jiffy’s Corn Muffin Mix, see shopping tips
½ cup nonfat plain yogurt or nonfat Greek yogurt
¼ cup light cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a 9 x 9” baking pan with cooking spray.
2. In a microwave-safe bowl, add onions, red bell peppers, and butter. Cook in microwave on high for about 3-4 minutes until soft. Set in refrigerator to chill for 10 minutes.
3. Mix together the cooled onion mixture, ham, milk, eggs, egg whites, garlic powder, and pepper in a large bowl. Blend well. Stir in cornbread mix and only stir until blended. The batter will be a bit bumpy. Spread cornbread batter into prepared pan.
4. Using a rubber spatula, spread yogurt over the top of the casserole. It won’t cover completely.
5. Sprinkle cheese evenly over top of yogurt.
6. Bake for 45 minutes so the entire casserole will be cooked through. It will look very dark golden brown.
7. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into 6 slices. This casserole may be made ahead of time, refrigerated, and reheated. It also freezes great!
Makes 6 servings (each serving, 1 slice)
Most supermarkets sell Jiffy corn muffin mix in the baking aisle. If you can’t find it use another brand that is about 8.5 ounces.
Trader Joe’s sells (8 oz) packages of Black Forest ham. It’s uncured and contains ‘no nitrates.’ Most health food markets sell this type of ham too.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 8-Blue
WW SmartPoints 9-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 8
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 slice
294 calories, 10g fat, 12g protein, 38g carbs, 1g fiber, 681mg sodium, 11g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
234 calories, 2g sat. fat, 7g protein, 9g sugar