Many of you know these outrageously delicious bars as Magic Bars or Hello Dollys. I’m calling them, “Magical Bars” because they’re just that. In fact, they’re probably the best bars ever created, even this skinny version is pretty amazing. They’re super rich and decadent. And just six ingredients layered right in the pan. They’re a whole lot skinnier because I’m using reduced-fat butter, fat-free sweetened condensed milk and a lot less chocolate, nuts and coconut. Each delectable bar has 133 calories, 6 grams of fat and 4 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. Everybody will love them!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 25-30 minutes
¼ cup reduced-fat butter
1¼ cup graham cracker crumbs
½ cup flaked coconut (sweetened)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 (14oz) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
½ cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a 13×9 baking pan, generously coat all sides with cooking spray with flour, add the butter and place in the oven to melt. This will take no more than a minute.
3. Sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs evenly over the top of the butter and pat down a little. Do not mix.
4. Sprinkle the coconut evenly over the crumbs.
5. Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the coconut.
6. Drizzle the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the chips. To make the milk easier to drizzle, place the can in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes.
7. Top with the nuts.
8. Bake for about 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
9. Cut into 24 squares while still somewhat hot. If you let them cool they become very difficult to cut!
Makes 24 bars
Note: This holiday I am part of Patience Brewster’s Online Cookie Exchange! If you’re not familiar with Patience, she is an artist and designer of Christmas ornaments and décor.
Sweetened condensed milk is what binds all of the ingredients together in these Magical Bars. It’s normally made from a mixture of whole milk and sugar that has had about 60% of its water removed. Its consistency is thick and sticky like honey and is very sweet tasting. I’m using a fat-free version made with nonfat milk.
You’ll find graham cracker crumbs in a box in the baking section of most supermarkets.
Weight Watchers (old points) 3
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 4
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 bar
133 cal, 5.7g fat, 3g protein, 19g carbs, 1g fiber, 61mg sodium, 16g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 bar made with full fat ingredients
356 cal, 22g fat, 6g protein, 38g carbs, 2g fiber, 163mg sodium, 31g sugar