A guilt-free dream come true! This is not your kid’s mac and cheese. The very cheesy sauce includes three low-fat kinds of cheese. Once combined with the cooked cheese/spinach tortellini, it becomes a cheese lover’s delight! Each generous serving has 289 calories, 14 grams of fat, and 9 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 9 Green.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 15 minutes
1 (10 oz) pkg. Buitoni Spinach & Ricotta Tortelloni, see shopping tips
2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
½ teaspoon dry mustard powder
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
A small dash of cayenne pepper, if desired
⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon reduced-fat milk
1¼ cups part-skim ricotta cheese or reduced-fat cottage cheese
1 cup light shredded cheese such as Mozzarella, cheddar, or a blend of cheeses
1 cup tomatoes, chopped (drain any liquid)
Salt and Black pepper, to taste
¼ cup light shredded cheese such as Mozzarella, cheddar, or a blend of cheeses
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Cook tortellini according to package instructions. Drain. Set aside.
3. To make cheese sauce: In a large nonstick pan, melt butter. Using a whisk, mix in dry mustard powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper, if desired. Whisk in milk, ricotta cheese, and 1 cup shredded cheese. Season to taste with a little salt and pepper.
4. Using a rubber spatula so the tortellini doesn’t tear, stir in cooked tortellini and tomatoes. Mix well. Add to baking dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle with ¼ cup shredded cheese and the Parmesan cheese all over top of casserole. Bake in oven for about 15 minutes, until the cheeses are melted.
5. Cool slightly and cut into 6 servings. This casserole freezes great.
Makes 6 main-course servings.
I used Buitoni Spinach & Ricotta Tortelloni. It’s fresh pasta and found in the refrigerated pasta section of most supermarkets. It comes in a 10 oz and 20 oz pkg. If you buy the 20 oz, use half and freeze the rest for the next time you make it. Most supermarkets carry a few brands, such as Buitoni. You can also use three-cheese tortellini to substitute. I buy it at Trader Joe’s.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 9–Blue
WW SmartPoints 9–Green
WW POINTS PLUS 8
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving
289 calories, 14g fat, 7g sat. fat, 51mg chol, 20g protein, 23g carbs, 1g fiber, 532mg sod, 2g sugar