I’m sharing a hearty delicious and easy chicken tortilla soup, Perfect for a chilly day! I love tortilla soup and have shared a few on Skinny Kitchen, in the past. This one is a bit different and I added quinoa. It’s super filling and so flavorful! Each huge serving has 310 calories, 4 grams of fat, and 2 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 9 Green.
And any leftovers freeze great!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes stove-top, 4 hours crock-pot
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon garlic cloves, minced
2 cups onions, diced
1 cup red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, diced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon chili powder
1½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
A little black pepper, to taste
8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, I used Swanson’s
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups corn kernels, frozen, canned, or roasted (I used Trader Joe’s frozen roasted corn)
½ cup quinoa (uncooked)
Juice of 1 lime (~2 T)
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Crushed tortilla chips, I think this topping is a must!
Light cheddar cheese, shredded
Non-fat plain Greek yogurt or fat-free sour cream
1. To Make on Stove-Top: Heat olive oil in a large nonstick pot over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until golden, about 2-3 minutes per side. Won’t be cooked through at this point; set aside.
2. In the same pot add garlic, onions, and bell peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Stir in tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and a little black pepper. until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, black beans, corn, and chicken. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from the soup pot and shred, using two forks.
4. Add quinoa and chicken into the pot. Mix well. Simmer, uncovered, until quinoa is tender, about 15-20 minutes. Stir in lime juice.
5. To Make in Crock-pot: Cook onion, garlic, and bell peppers in microwave for about 4 minutes until softened. Add to crock-pot. Add all ingredients except quinoa to crock-pot and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7 hours. Add quinoa with 1½ hours left. Or cook quinoa separately and add to soup when done. Before serving, shred the cooked chicken and add it back to the soup.
6. To each serving: Top with desired optional toppings. I like the crushed tortilla chips for sure and I like a little cheese and cilantro.
This soup freezes great!
Makes 8 servings. Each serving, 2 cups
Quinoa cooks the same as adding rice to a soup recipe. It absorbs the flavors and juice.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 2-Blue
WW SmartPoints 9-Green
WW Points Plus 7
|SKINNY FACTS: for 2 cup serving
310 calories, 4g fat, 1g sat. fat, 28mg chol, 13g prot, 48g carbs, 9g fiber, 1,400mg sod, 11g sugar
|FACTS: Freestyle SmartPoints
61 calories, 0g sat. fat, 2g prot, 1g sugar