This delectable breakfast sandwich is one of the beloved healthy breakfast choices at Starbucks. I know I enjoy it. My copycat version is so yummy too! It’s perfect for busy mornings since it comes together very quickly. Each sandwich has 245 calories, 6 grams of fat, and 6 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 6 Green.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Ingredients for Sandwich:
1 slice turkey bacon, see shopping tips
1 whole wheat or whole grain English muffin, I used Oroweat Whole Grain Double Fiber, see shopping tips
2 egg whites (¼ cup liquid whites)
2 tablespoons reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
1 large tomato slice
Salt & pepper, to taste
Optional Ingredients to Spread on English Muffin:
Smart Balance light or reduced-fat butter
Les sugar preserves
1. Pour 2 egg whites into a glass custard cup about 4¾ inches wide or small dish, to create a round shape. Cover top of custard cup with a microwave-safe plate and place in microwave. Be sure to cover tightly so egg whites don’t pop out while cooking. Cook for about 1 minute, until cooked through. Carefully remove cooked eggs by running a spoon over bottom of eggs to lift out of custard cup.
2. To cook bacon: Line a microwave-safe plate with paper towels. Place 1 slice of bacon on top. Cover with more paper towels. Cook in microwave 2-4 minutes until bacon is cooked and crispy, if desired. Break cooked bacon into 2 pieces.
3. In the meantime, toast English muffin and spread inside of both pieces with light butter or preserves if desired. This is optional.
3. Place eggs on inside of bottom half of English muffin. Top with 2 bacon pieces, tomato, and cheese. Place top piece of English muffin on top. Heat in microwave for about 20-30 seconds until cheese is melted.
4. Serve at once or prep in advance and just before serving, heat until cheese is melted.
Makes 1 sandwich
At Starbucks, they describe their Reduced-Fat Turkey Bacon & Cage Free Egg White Breakfast Sandwich as “Sizzling reduced-fat turkey bacon and wholesome cage-free egg whites are paired with the rich creaminess of melted, reduced-fat white cheddar cheese on an organic wheat English muffin.” Each has 210 calories.
I like to buy turkey bacon that’s uncured and contains no nitrates. There are several brands like this. I used Signature Select found at Von’s/Safeway.
You’ll find Oroweat English muffins in most supermarkets. I like their double fiber. Each contains 8g fiber. There are many other companies making a similar high fiber one. Or choose 100% whole wheat or your favorite English muffin.
Custard cups are so versatile. Not only perfect to cook eggs in, but they also come in handy when using different ingredients while cooking and baking. They’re dishwasher and microwave safe. Buy them on Amazon.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 6-Blue
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 6-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 7
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 breakfast sandwich
245 calories, 7g fat, 2g sat. fat, 30mg chol, 23g prot, 31g carbs, 8g fiber, 705mg sod, 6g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
207 calories, 2g sat. fat, 15g protein, 5g sugar