Enjoy all the great flavors of breakfast in one easy, dreamy, cheesy dish. It’s a vegetarian version of my very popular Skinny Hash Browns, Bacon and Eggs Breakfast Casserole. It freezes great so you can have it for a quick weekday breakfast. Or, how about a hearty breakfast for dinner? You’ll surely love that too! Each serving has only 169 calories, 5 grams of fat and 4 Weight Watchers SmartPoints. So low in everything, enjoy every yummy bite, guilt-free!
Prep Time: 18 minutes
Bake Time: 1 hour
1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup tomatoes, chopped, drain any liquid (I used grape or cherry tomatoes and cut in half)
½ cup fat-free cottage cheese
½ cup nonfat Greek plain yogurt or plain nonfat yogurt or fat-free sour cream
½ cup light cheddar cheese, shredded
½ cup nonfat milk
2 eggs, beaten, I like using Egg-Land Best eggs
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon Lawry’s seasoning salt or salt, divided
Black pepper, to taste
4 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, shredded and not defrosted, see shopping tips
Cooking spray, I like olive oil spray
Ingredients for Topping
¼ cup light cheddar cheese, shredded for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9 x 9 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Cook onions and red bell pepper in microwave for 2 minutes, to soften.
3. In a large bowl, add cooked onions and peppers, tomatoes, cottage cheese, yogurt, ½ cup shredded cheese, milk, eggs, egg whites, ½ teaspoon seasoning salt or salt and pepper. Mix together well.
4. Pour mixture into baking pan. Spread evenly. Cover the top evenly with frozen hash browns. Make sure to break up the chunks of potato. Spray the top generously with cooking spray. Sprinkle top with ½ teaspoon seasoning salt or salt and a little pepper.
5. Cover casserole with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle with ¼ cup shredded cheese and bake an additional 30 minutes. To crisp the hash browns, place under broiler for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Be sure to keep an eye on it while broiling to not burn.
6. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes to set. Cut into 6 slices.
7. This casserole can be reheated and it freezes great too! It can be easily doubled and made in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
Makes 6 serving (each serving, 1 slice)
Whenever a recipe calls for using the full egg, I LOVE Egg-Land’s Best eggs! They have less saturated fat, less cholesterol, more Vitamin D, more Vitamin E and double the Omega 3 than regular eggs.
Most supermarkets see them in the egg aisle.
Frozen Hash Brown potatoes are sold in most supermarkets. They contain no fat, just shredded potatoes. I used Ore Ida’s frozen plain shredded hash browns.
One serving (1¼ cups) has 70 calories, 0g fat, 10g carbs, 1g protein, 0.6g fiber, 0g sugar, 12mg sodium
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 4
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 4
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving
160 calories, 5g fat, 2g sat. fat 60mg chol, 14g protein, 14g carbs, 2g fiber, 486mg sod, 3g sugar