I love fajitas, especially these very lean chicken ones. They’re so yummy and come together in a snap! Plus, it’s very fun to let everyone customize their own. I use to make my own seasonings but now I love the ease of using a package of Lawry’s Fajita seasoning mix! Each fajita has 152 calories, 2 grams of fat and 2 Blue WWFreestyle SmartPoints, and 4 Green.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients for Fajitas:
2 large red bell peppers or 1 red and 1 yellow, cut into slices (about 4 cups)
1 large onion, cut into thin rings (about 2 cups)
1 pound chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) cut into strips or chunks
1 lemon, juiced about 2-3 tablespoons
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 (1.27 oz) package Lawry’s Fajita seasonings mix (do not use directions on pkg. follow instructions, below)
⅓ cup water plus 2 tablespoons
8 corn tortillas or corn & whole wheat blend tortillas, see shopping tips
Ingredients for Topping: (optional)
Chopped romaine lettuce
Fat-free sour cream, plain yogurt, or The BEST Skinny Ranch Dressing (3 ingredients)
Reduced-fat cheese, shredded
Guacamole or avocado slices
1. In a microwave-safe bowl or large plate, add all sliced peppers and onions. Cook for about 5 minutes, until soft.
2. Cut chicken into strips or chunks and place in bowl. Squeeze lemon juice and toss chicken to coat.
3. Coat a large nonstick pan with cooking spray. Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in pan. Add chicken and lemon juice and cook for 3 minutes. Add cooked peppers, onions, seasoning mix, water and mix well. Continue to cook for about 4-5 minutes until chicken is completely cooked. Turn heat down to simmer and continue to cook for about 3-4 minutes until onions are very soft and mixture is very hot.
4. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Wrap tortillas in foil and place in oven for about 5-8 minutes or until heated through. Or, wrap tortillas in plastic wrap and heat in microwave for about 25 seconds.
5. To serve: Spoon ½ cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla and let everyone top with their desired toppings. I like to mound mine with lettuce and tomato and eat open-faced with a fork and knife.
6. This recipe can easily be doubled and tripled. It also freezes great!
Makes 8 chicken fajitas (each serving-½ cup fajita mixture and 1 corn tortilla) This recipe makes a total of 4 cups of fajitas.
A fajita is a term found in both traditional Mexican cuisine and Tex-Mex cuisine. It refers to any grilled meat served as a taco or on a flour or corn tortilla. Popular meats used in fajitas today include any cuts of beef, chicken, pork, and shrimp. The meat is typically cooked with pepper, onions, and seasonings. Popular condiments are shredded lettuce, tomato, sour cream, salsa, and guacamole.
There are many choices of tortillas out there. One of the lowest in calories and fat is Mission’s 6” corn tortilla. I did the skinny facts based on them.
I recently discovered Mission Foods Artisan Style Tortillas-Corn & Whole Wheat Blend. You might want to try them. They are really tasty…Each tortilla has 90 calories, 2.5g fat and 3 grams of fiber! You’ll find them in most supermarkets. Trader Joe’s has them under their own brand.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 2-Blue
WW SmartPoints 4-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 4
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 fajita, ½ cup fajita mixture & 1 corn tortilla (not including toppings)
152 calories, 2g fat, 0.6g sat. fat, 27mg chol, 21g carbs,14g prot, 4g fiber, 233mg sod, 2g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
66 calories, 0g sat. fat, 1g protein, 2g sugar