For many of you, you’ve probably never tasted chicken curry salad or any dish made with the exotic spice, curry. If you haven’t, you’re in for a scrumptious treat. One very generous, main course salad has 292 calories, 6 grams of fat and 5 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 7 Green.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for Chicken Curry:
1 recipe Skinny Curry dressing, recipe follows below
3 cups chicken breasts (boneless, skinless), cooked & diced
2 cups green apples, diced (unpeeled)
½ cup raisins
¼ cup frozen green peas (defrosted)
Ingredients for Salad:
4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
1 cup tomato, chopped
½ cup carrots, shredded
1. Prepare the Skinny Curry Dressing (recipe follows)
2. In large bowl, combine the chicken, apples, raisins, peas, and curry dressing. Toss until well coated.
3. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
4. In large bowl, add all of the salad ingredients and toss with Best Skinny Ranch Dressing.
5. To assemble the salad -divide the tossed mixed green salad and place among 4 plates.
6. Place the chicken curry salad evenly on top of the mixed greens.
Makes 4 main course salads
Ingredients for Skinny Curry Dressing:
½ cup Best Skinny Ranch Dressing (view recipe)
½ cup nonfat yogurt
1 tablespoon sugar and 2 pkgs sugar substitute, I like Truvia (stevia)
1 tablespoon + ¾ teaspoon curry powder (Madras)
¼ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1. In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients.
2. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
3. Skinny Curry dressing will keep in fridge for 7 days.
Makes 1 cup
Curry powder is a blend of many spices as unique as the person blending them. Most commercial curry powder contains of blend of cayenne, cinnamon, coriander, cloves, cumin, mustard, pepper, and turmeric. The distinct yellow color of curry powder comes from the turmeric.
Researchers have found that turmeric, a spice find in curry powder, is an effective antioxidant and anti-inflammatory.
The type of curry powder that you find in the supermarket is available in two main styles: Standard and Madras. My favorite for this recipe is Madras; it has a sweeter, hotter taste.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 5-Blue
WW SmartPoints 7-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 8
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 main course salad including dressing:
292 cal, 6g fat, 1g sat. fat, 39g carbs, 25g protein, 5g fiber, 481mg sodium, 25g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
118 calories, 0g sat. fat, 16g sugar, 3g protein