This is a very easy, lightened up version of Chicken Cordon Bleu. No rolling them. There’s no reason to fuss with that. I make mine layered and open-faced. And, they’re absolutely fabulous! Each generous serving has 259 calories, 7 grams of fat and 4 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
4 thin boneless, skinless chicken cutlets (4 oz each), see prep tips
Salt and pepper, to taste
¼ cup all purpose flour or gluten-free all purpose flour
1½ tablespoons reduced-fat butter
¾ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
4 thin slices deli ham, see shopping tips
4 slices (¾ ounce each ) light Swiss cheese, see shopping tips
1. Pound chicken into 4 thin pieces. Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. Place flour in a shallow dish. Lightly dredge chicken with flour on both sides.
2. In a small bowl, combine chicken broth, lemon juice and Dijon mustard.
3. Coat a large, nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add butter and heat to melt over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts and cook 2 minutes on each side, until slightly golden, then transfer to a dish. Note: if your pan isn’t large enough to cook all 4 pieces of chicken, cook in batches. Heat only ¾ tablespoon butter to cook each batch. Set cooked chicken aside on a plate.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low, add chicken broth mixture. Mix around, using a rubber spatula, scraping up any bits stuck to pan. Simmer for 2-3 minutes to reduce sauce slightly. Return chicken to pan. Top each piece with 1 slice of ham and 1 slice of cheese. Cover pan and simmer over medium-low heat for 3 to 4 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
5. To serve: Use a spatula to transfer chicken to each plate. Spoon remaining sauce over each piece of chicken.
Makes 4 servings. Each serving, 1 piece chicken topped with sauce.
There are several brands of light Swiss cheese available. Also known as Jarlsberg cheese. I used Alpine Lace.
Trader Joe’s sells (8 oz) packages of Black Forest ham. It’s uncured and contains ‘no nitrates.’ In addition, most health food markets sell this type of ham. Or, use your favorite lean ham such as Oscar Meyer or even turkey ham.
To create thin chicken cutlets: For each chicken breast, place into a freezer-type resealable bag. The freezer bag will prevent tearing so that the mallet does not come into direct contact with the raw chicken. Place the bagged chicken on top of a cutting board to protect your countertop. Pound chicken to its desired thickness, using a meat mallet. Most recipes will suggest a thickness of between ¼” and ½.” Remove chicken from bag. Repeat with other 3 breasts.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints 4
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 5
Weight Watchers Points Plus 6
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 piece chicken with sauce
259 calories, 7g fat, 4g sat. fat, 69mg chol, 40g prot, 8g carbs, 0g fiber, 362mg sod, 1g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
134 calories, 3g sat. fat, 1g sugar, 14g protein