This might be the most delicious tomato sauce you’ll ever taste! It’s important to make this sauce using summertime tomatoes. They really taste their best this time of year. If possible, buy them at your local Farmer’s Market or look for locally grown tomatoes at your supermarket. You can also use whole cherry tomatoes or “gourmet” varieties. I’ve made this sauce skinny by using 3 tablespoons of olive oil for roasting. Normally it’s made with ½ cup oil. Now a ½ cup serving of sauce has 98 calories, 4.7 grams of fat and 3 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. This sauce is such a cinch to make and so versatile. Serve over whole wheat pasta, a baked potato or steamed veggies.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
10 cups fresh tomatoes, quartered
2 cups onions, chopped chunky
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
5 cloves garlic, chopped into large pieces
2 tablespoons sugar
1¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
½ teaspoon black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Add all ingredients to a large baking pan. Toss well to coat and then spread out over pan.
3. Roast for 45 minutes.
4. Add all from the pan to a blender or food processor and carefully blend until smooth. Add a little more salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
5. Serve over your favorite whole wheat or whole grain pasta, such as spaghetti or penne pasta. Or try it stuffed in a baked potato or over steamed veggies.
6. This sauce freezes great.
Makes 5 cups
Many studies have linked higher consumption of cooked tomato products with reduced risk of prostate and other cancers. Tomatoes are a good source of vitamin C, have a significant amount of vitamin A and contain some B vitamins.
Look for plump tomatoes that feel heavy for their size. Avoid refrigerated tomatoes or those with bruises or discoloration. When fully ripe tomatoes yield to gentle pressure.
Weight Watchers (old points) 2
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 3
|SKINNY FACTS: for ½ cup fresh marinara sauce (pasta not included)
98 calories, 4.7g fat, 2g protein, 14g carbs, 3g fiber, 163mg sodium, 3g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for ½ cup fresh marinara sauce made with extra oil
139 calories, 13g fat, 1g protein, 7g carbs, 2g fiber, 220mg sodium, 3g sugar