I think you’re going to LOVE this simple and skinny remake so much…Maybe even more than beloved Panda’s Orange Chicken. It has a yummy homemade sauce and the chicken is made skinny in an air fryer. Each serving has 322 calories, 6 grams of fat and 7 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Serve over brown rice or cauliflower rice.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
1 pound chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1 large egg
¼ cup cornstarch
¼ cup all-purpose flour
⅓ cup barbecue sauce
⅓ cup orange marmalade
1 teaspoon ginger, from a jar, see shopping tips
A little garlic powder
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame seeds, for topping
1. Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees. Coat inside basket with olive oil spray.
2. In a small shallow bowl, add the egg and beat well. In another shallow bowl, combine cornstarch and flour.
3. Dip chicken pieces into egg, then cornstarch/flour. Add pieces to air fryer basket. Place against each other. It’s ok to overlap chicken pieces a bit. Spray top of chicken with olive oil spray. Cook for about 10 minutes until chicken is no longer pink inside. No need to turn chicken over while cooking.
4. In the meantime, in a small sauce pan, mix together all sauce ingredients. Simmer for about 7-10 minutes until heated and flavors combined.
5. Remove chicken to a bowl and pour heated sauce over chicken. Mix with a rubber spatula to coat chicken well. Add to a serving plate. Sprinkle sesame seeds all over top.
6. Serve over cauliflower rice, brown rice or steamed shredded cabbage. Leftovers freeze great.
Makes 4 servings. Each about ¾ cup chicken and sauce.
Panda Express Orange Chicken is their signature dish. It’s crispy chicken, wok-tossed in a sweet and spicy orange sauce. One serving has 490 calories and 23g fat.
Ginger, from a jar, can be found in the produce section of your supermarket. It’s usually displayed in the same section with garlic, in a jar. It will keep in your refrigerator for several months.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 7-Blue
WW SmartPoints 10-Green
WW Points Plus 8
SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving
322 calories, 6g fat, 2g sat. fat, 112mg chol, 28g protein, 40g carbs, 1g fiber, 404mg sod, 22g sugar
FACTS: for Freestyle Points
164 calories, 0g sat. fat, 2g protein, 22g sugar