This is such a yummy dish at Panda Express. It’s lightly sautéed zucchini, mushrooms, and chicken in a light ginger soy sauce. My version has much more chicken, and veggies including onions, which makes it even more flavorful. My remake is extremely delicious. It’s just as good as Panda’s, maybe even better! Each serving has 346 calories, 10 grams of fat, 5 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 6 Green.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
3 cups (8 ounces) mushrooms
3 cups zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, then in ½ inch slices
2 cups onions, chopped
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
1 large egg, beaten
½ cup cornstarch or flout (for gluten-free use cornstarch)
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic cloves
1 tablespoon ginger, from a jar or fresh minced ginger
⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce (for gluten-free, use Tamari soy sauce)
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1. Add mushrooms, zucchini, and onions to a microwave-safe bowl. Cook in microwave for 4-5 minutes to soften. Set aside.
2. Place the beaten egg in one shallow bowl and cornstarch in another bowl. Toss the chicken in beaten egg and then lightly coat each piece with cornstarch.
3. Coat a large nonstick pan with cooking spray. Heat canola and sesame oil in pan. Add chicken and cook on medium-high until browned on both sides, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from the pan and leave drippings in pan. Set chicken aside.
4. To the same pan, add garlic and ginger and stir often for 30 seconds. Add the softened mushrooms/zucchini/onions and continue to cook for 4-5 minutes until zucchini is cooked through.
5. In a small bowl mix together the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and honey. Add chicken back pan and stir to coat. Pour in soy sauce mixture and mix everything together. Continue to cook for a few minutes while stirring.
6. Serve over cauliflower rice or brown rice, if desired. See serving tips below.
Makes 4 servings. Each 1½ cups
You can buy all these ingredients at most supermarkets. I was able to buy all these ingredients at Trader Joe’s except the ginger, in a jar. Most supermarkets sell this is the produce section.
This dish tastes great served with either of these cauliflower rice recipes.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 5-Blue
WW SmartPoints 6-Green
WW Points Plus
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving
346 calories, 10g fat, 1g sat. fat, 122mg chol, 31g prot, 33g carbs, 4g fiber, 925mg sod, 11g sugar
FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints