This yummy dish is a must-have on your weekly meal planner. I’m serving it over steamed cabbage to savor every bit of the sweet Asian glaze. It’s so tasty this way and is fiber-rich. Or, you could serve it over brown rice. Each skinny serving has just 193 calories, 2 grams of fat, and 2 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 3 Green.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for Chicken:
4 (4 ounces each) chicken breast, boneless, skinless
1 cup regular onions (yellow), chopped
¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce, see shopping tips
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2-3 packets Truvia, Stevia or Splenda (sugar substitute), to taste or you could use 1 tablespoon hiney
1 tablespoon ginger, from a jar, see shopping tips
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon cornstarch or flour
Ingredients for Serving:
1 bag shredded cabbage (~5 cups)
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons scallions, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350. Coat a 9 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Place chicken in dish. Sprinkle onions all over. Combine soy sauce and next 5 ingredients (through garlic); pour over chicken.
3. Cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes. Check for doneness.
4. Pour sauce in a small pot. In a small dish, mix the cornstarch with a little water to dissolve. If using flour, not necessary. Whisk it into the sauce. Bring heat up to a boil, turn down to low and simmer for a few minutes until the sauce thickens a bit. Pour sauce over chicken.
5. Add cabbage to a microwave-safe bowl and cook in the microwave for 2-3 minutes until soft.
6. To serve: Divide cabbage among 4 plates. Add 1 breast and spoon sauce over the top of chicken and cabbage. Sprinkle the top of each serving with ½ teaspoon sesame seeds and sliced scallions.
Makes 4 servings (each serving, 1 chicken breast, and sauce)
Hoisin sauce can be found in the Asian section of the supermarket.
Ginger (in a jar) is a terrific product and can be found in the produce section of the supermarket. Store the jar in the refrigerator.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 2-Blue
WW SmartPoints 3-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 5
|SKINNY FACTS: 1 serving (4 oz of chicken, sauce, and cabbage)
193 calories, 2g fat, 1g sat. fat, 55mg chol, 26g prot, 19g carbs, 3g fiber, 723mg sod, 4g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
42 calories, 0g sat. fat, 1g protein, 4g sugar