One of my favorite new ways to make chili! It’s super flavorful with the perfect amount of heat. I personally don’t like how hot most buffalo recipes are. But, if you do, just add more heat. It keeps for several days in the fridge and freezes perfectly. So many ways you can serve this fabulous chili, be sure to check out Serving Tips, below. Each 1¼ cup serving has only 185 calories, 3 grams of fat, and 0 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints and 4 Green.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients for Chili:
1 pound 99% fat-free ground turkey, see shopping tips below
2 teaspoons olive oil
1½ cups onion, diced
1 cup celery, sliced
1 cup carrots, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup light beer or reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, see shopping tips
Ingredients for Toppings: optional
6 tablespoons blue cheese, crumbled
½ cup romaine lettuce, shredded
1. In a large nonstick pan or pot, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil. Add ground turkey and brown. Be sure to break up all pieces into a crumble, while browning.
2. In the meantime: In a microwave-safe, large bowl or plate, add onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. Cook in the microwave for about 3-4 minutes, to soften the vegetables. Once softened, add vegetables to the pan of browned turkey.
3. Stir in beer or broth to deglaze the pan. Bring up to a soft boil and cook for about 4 minutes until a small amount of liquid is left. Stir often. Stir in tomatoes, beans, cumin, paprika, and hot sauce. Mix well. Simmer for 10 minutes.
4. To serve: add 1¼ cups to each bowl. Top with a little shredded lettuce and 1 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese if desired. Check out other serving tips, below.
5. This chili freezes great.
Makes 6 servings. Each serving 1¼ cups.
99% fat-free ground turkey is sold in most supermarkets. Although most of the packages are 1¼ to 1½ pounds, you’ll only use 1 pound for this recipe. Freeze the rest for another use.
I like Franks Red Hot Original sauce for this recipe. Many hot wings sauces are way too spicy for my taste. This one is just spicy enough. You’ll find it in most supermarkets where Tabasco and other hot sauces are sold. Or, use your favorite sauce.
Great as chili in a bowl. Set up a chili bar and let everyone customize their own. Serve on the side with chopped tomatoes, shredded romaine lettuce, crumbled blue cheese, chopped onions, and such. In addition, this chili is delicious stuffed into a baked potato topped with shredded lettuce and a little Skinny Ranch Dressing.
Make a main course salad of lettuce, topped with warm chili and drizzled with my Skinny Ranch Dressing and a little crumbled blue cheese on top, if desired. So yum!
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 0-Blue (made with chicken broth)
WW SmartPoints 3-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 4
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving (1¼ cups)
185 calories, 3g fat, 1g sat. fat, 37mg chol, 23g prot, 18g carbs, 6g fiber, 650mg sodium, 2g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
16 calories, 0g sat. fat, 0g sugar, 1g protein