Here’s a colorful fruit salad on a stick! And, food eaten off a stick always tastes better, right? So versatile, you can choose from a variety of fruits. What a super yummy, healthy treat or snack to serve all summer long and a terrific addition to any summer party, barbecue or picnic. Have fun!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bamboo, wooden or other disposable skewers (such as plastic), see shopping tip
½ small watermelon, cantaloupe or honeydew melon for the base
Honeydew melon chunks
1. If using wooden or bamboo skewers, make sure all the splinters are off of them by rolling two together in your hands, or rub them over each other, as if you are sharpening a knife.
2. Cut the fruit that is not already small into 1-inch or bite-size, chunks.
3. This recipe is very flexible…As shown in the photo, I first skewered a strawberry,
next 2 blueberries, then watermelon, next 2 grapes, cantaloupe, 2 blueberries and ending with another strawberry.
4. Important Tips: Just be sure to stick to fruits that don’t brown so quickly such as grapes, watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberries, pineapple and blueberries. For the base I used ½ of a small watermelon but you can use any melon you like. In addition, be sure to leave a few inches at the bottom of the skewers so they’re easier to insert and do not make the melon shell top heavy.
5. Just remember, there is no set way to create your kebabs…Have fun with a variety of fruits.
I found the bamboo skewers at the supermarket in the baking aisle where baking pans are displayed. They’re also sold in stores such as Bed, Bath and Beyond and craft stores such as Michael’s.
Skinny Facts: I did not included the skinny facts for this recipe because it depends on what type of fruit you use and how much you add to each skewer.