This casserole is quite simple to prepare and ultra decadent tasting! The fact that you use fresh packaged ravioli, straight from the bag saves so much time. Plus the sauce is so cheesy rich since using 4 kinds of cheese and a top layer of grated parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese. Amazingly, each serving has just 236 calories, 10 grams of fat, and 7 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 7 Green. Everyone will love it, including the kids!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 15 minutes
1 (10 oz) pkg. Giovanni Rana Spinach And Ricotta Ravioli, see shopping tips
2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
½ teaspoon dry mustard powder
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon reduced-fat milk
¾ cup reduced-fat cottage cheese, I like Knudsen
1 cup light mozzarella, shredded
½ cup fat-free feta cheese, crumbled, see shopping tips
1 cup tomatoes, chopped (drain any liquid)
¼ teaspoon Trader Joe’s garlic salt or garlic powder plus a little salt, see shopping tips
Ingredients for Topping
¼ cup light mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Cook ravioli according to package instructions. Drain and rinse in cold water. Set aside. If it sticks together, you might need to rinse it again in cold water before adding to the cheese sauce.
3. To make the cheese sauce: In a large nonstick pot melt butter. mix in dry mustard powder and cayenne pepper. Using a rubber spatula, mix in milk, cottage cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, and feta cheese. Season with a little, garlic salt or garlic powder and a little salt, if using powder.
4. Using the rubber spatula so ravioli doesn’t tear, stir in cooked ravioli and tomatoes. Mix well. Add to baking dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle with ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese and the Parmesan cheese all over top of casserole. Bake in oven for about 15 minutes, until golden and the cheeses are melted.
5. Cool slightly and cut into 6 servings. This casserole freezes great!
Makes 6 main-course servings.
Ravioli originated as a traditional food in Italian cuisine. Ravioli are commonly square, though other forms are also used, including circular and semi-circular.
I love Giovanni Rana Spinach & Ricotta Ravioli. It’s available in both a 10 oz and 20 oz pkg. It’s made with fresh baby spinach & creamy ricotta cheese wrapped in thin pasta. Most supermarkets sell it in the refrigerated pasta section. If you can’t find it, you can use Buitoni Spinach & Artichoke Ravioli in a 9 oz package.
Trader Joe’s sells containers of fat-free crumbled feta cheese. In addition, most supermarkets along with Walmart sell President crumbled fat-free feta cheese.
My favorite garlic these days is Trader Joe’s garlic salt! It’s not nearly as salty as regular garlic salt and it makes everything taste great. If you use it, no need to add a little salt to this recipe.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 7–Blue
WW SmartPoints 7-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 6
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving
236 calories, 10g fat, 5g sat. fat, 53mg chol, 18g protein, 21g carbs, 2g fiber, 675mg sod, 5g sugar