These bars are rich, sweet, gooey, and definitely addictive. This recipe is a takeoff of my Outrageous Magical Bars. My family loves them so much I’ve converted my regular skinny recipe for Passover. I’m using matzo crumbs instead of graham cracker crumbs and a spread like Smart Balance to replace the reduced-fat butter. I’m also adding dried cranberries. They require no mixing or fussing. Just seven ingredients layered right in the pan. The skinny for 1yummy bar is 162 calories, 6 grams of fat. Start a tradition this year because they’ll probably become the most requested dessert to make for Passover.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 25-30 minutes
¼ cup Smart Balance Light or Benecol Light
4 matzos, unsalted or 1¼ cup matzo meal
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
¾ cup dried cranberries
½ cup walnuts, chopped
½ cup flaked coconut (sweetened)
1 (14oz) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Break the matzo into pieces and place in a blender. Cover and blend on high to make crumbs or start with 1¼ cup matzo meal.
3. In a 13 x 9 baking pan, generously coat with cooking spray. Add the Smart Balance and place in the oven to melt. This will take about a minute. Remove from oven.
4. Sprinkle the matzo crumbs evenly over the top of the Smart Balance. Do not mix.
5. Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the top.
6. Next, sprinkle the cranberries and then the walnuts. Finally, sprinkle the coconut evenly over the top.
7. Drizzle the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the chips. To make the milk easier to drizzle, place the can in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes.
8. Bake for about 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
9. Cut into 24 squares while still somewhat hot. If you let them cool they become very difficult to cut.
Makes 24 bars
Sweetened condensed milk binds all the ingredients together in these bars. It’s normally made from a mixture of whole milk and sugar that has about 60% of its water removed. Its consistency is thick and sticky like honey and is very sweet tasting. I’m using a fat-free version made with nonfat milk.
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 4
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 bar
162 calories, 6g fat, 3g protein, 23g carbs, 1g fiber, 60mg sodium, 18g sugar
I made these for the first time, this year. I didn’t have Smart Balance; I used Country Crock Plant Butter. I also started with Matzah Meal. There are a lot of loose crumbs on the bottom, and they’re very bland and plain. I’d like to make them again next year; what do you think of my adding about ¼ cup of Lokanto Erythritol Golden brown sugar replacer, along with the matzah meal?
I’m sorry you found these bland. Usually, they’re made with graham cracker crumbs and those clearly taste best. This is a fun Passover version. Max, I’ve never tried adding something like Lokanto Erythritol Golden brown sugar replacer, along with the matzah meal. If you give it a try, I’d love to hear how they turned out.
Best of luck!