These egg filled muffin cups makes a delicious breakfast or brunch. To create the cups, I’m using high fiber English muffins. They’re filled with a healthy medley of sauteed spinach, garlic, onions and tomatoes, plus a combination of eggs and whites. Finally, they’re topped with fat-free feta cheese. Each filling cup has 147 calories, 6 grams of fat and 3 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Bake Time: 15 minutes
3 Oroweat Double Fiber English Muffins, split, see shopping tips
1 tablespoon reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light, melted
1 teaspoon yellow mustard or spicy brown mustard
½ cup onions, diced
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 cups fresh spinach
½ cup grape or cherry tomatoes, chopped
3 large eggs, I like Eggland’s Best Eggs
3 large egg whites
Salt and pepper to taste
6 tablespoons fat-free feta cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees; coat a jumbo muffin pan with cooking spray, see shopping tip
2. Roll the 6 muffin halves a bit larger, using a rolling pin to flatten. Place a muffin half in each muffin tin, pressing up the sides to form the baskets. It doesn’t need to go all the way to the top of the tin.
3. Combine the melted butter and mustard in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, brush butter mixture all over the inside of the cups. Place in oven and toast until slightly browned, about 10-12 minutes.
4. In the meantime, in a large nonstick pan, heat the olive oil. Add onions, garlic and saute over medium heat until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add spinach and cook until just starting to wilt. Stir in tomatoes. Remove from heat and season to taste with a little salt and pepper.
5. In a small bowl, whip together the eggs and egg whites to combine. Add eggs among 6 toasted baskets, about ¼ cup for each bread cup. Divide spinach mixture among the 6 cups and top each with 1 tablespoon of cheese.
6. Bake in oven for about 15 minutes or until eggs are cooked. Remove from oven and lift baskets from pan with a knife.
7. Serve immediately with a fork and knife.
Makes 6 servings (each serving, 1 egg filled cup)
Oroweat Double Fiber English Muffins have twice the fiber, 8 grams, of their whole wheat muffin
This recipe does require using a jumbo muffin tin. It’s available in a 6-cup muffin tin. You’ll find it at places such as Michael’s Craft Store, Target and Bed Bath and Beyond. I bought mine at Michael’s for $7.99. Use one of their coupons and you’ll really save!
Oroweat Double Fiber English Muffins can be found in most supermarkets or use a whole wheat one.
Rolling the muffins makes them larger and easier to mold into the muffin pan without breaking.
The bread cups and sauteed vegetables can be prepped in advance and then assembled and baked just before serving.
To make this brunch complete, serve with a fresh fruit salad and my recipe for The Perfectly Skinny Bloody Mary Cocktail.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints 3
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 4
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 4
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving (1 egg filled cup)
147 calories, 6g fat, 1g sat. fat, 93mg chol, 10g protein, 18g carbs, 5g fiber, 374mg sodium, 3g sugar
| FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
91 calories, 1g sat. fat, 4g protein, 3g sugar