The delicious flavors of an enchilada made into a hearty and healthy one bowl meal. It’s loaded with chunks of chicken, diced potatoes and green beans. Something a little different then a typical chicken enchilada. And it’s made very quickly using an instant pot. If you don’t have one you needn’t worry. I’ve included directions for making on the stove. Each bowl has 317 calories, 6 grams of fat and 6 Weight Watchers SmartPoints.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes with Instant Pot and 40 minutes on Cooktop
Ingredients for Chicken Enchilada Filling:
2 cups fresh greens beans, cut into chunks
1 tablespoon olive oil
1½ cups onions, diced
3 cups red potatoes (8 ounces) unpeeled and cut into small chunks
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 can (10 oz) Ro*Tel Mild or Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, undrained
1 can (10 oz) red enchilada sauce, mild (for gluten-free use La Victoria)
1 pound chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) cut into small pieces
¾ teaspoon cumin
¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
4 cups romaine lettuce, shredded
Ingredients for Topping: optional
½ cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
4 tablespoons fat-free sour cream or fat free plain yogurt
1. Prepare green beans: Add green beans to a microwave safe bowl. Fill with a little water. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or a plate. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until soft. Uncover, drain water. Set aside.
2. To make in an instant pot: Coat instant pot with cooking spray. Set to sauté. Add olive oil and heat. Stir in onions, potatoes and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes. Stir often. Be sure to use a rubber spatula to sauté so potatoes won’t break. Stir in tomatoes, enchilada sauce, chicken and seasonings. Mix well with rubber spatula. Set on Poultry setting. Cook 16 minutes. Open vent. Let sit for 2 minutes before removing the lid. Open instant pot and stir in steamed green beans.
3. To make on cooktop: Coat a large pan with cooking spray. Add olive oil and heat. Stir in onions, potatoes and garlic. Cook for about 8-10 minutes, to soften. Stir often. Be sure to use a rubber spatula to sauté so potatoes won’t break. Stir in tomatoes, enchilada sauce, chicken and seasonings. Mix well with rubber spatula. Bring heat to a boil, turn down to simmer, cover and cook for 25-30 minutes until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are soft. Stir in steamed green beans.
4. To serve: Line each bowl with 1 cup shredded lettuce. Add about 1½ cups of enchilada mixture to each bowl. Serve or top each with 2 tablespoons cheese and with 1 tablespoon sour cream or yogurt, if desired. Repeat with each serving.
5. Any leftover chicken enchilada mixture freezes great. Can use this filling to create tacos or burritos.
Makes 4 servings. Each serving, ~ 1½ cups not including toppings
An instant pot is all the rage these days. It’s an electric pressure cooker that speeds cooking time. In addition, it works as a slow cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker, steamer, warmer, and sauté pan all in one.
You can buy an Instant Pot on Amazon. This is the one I have and I’m very happy with it: Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker, 6Qt/1000W
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 6
Weight Watchers Points Plus 8
|SKINNY FACTS: for ~1½ cups not including optional toppings
317 calories, 6g fat, 2g sat, fat, 55mg chol, 31g prot, 35g carbs, 7g fiber, 978mg sod, 9g sugar
|FACTS: for SmartPoints
257 calories, 2g sat. fat, 28g protein, 2g sugar