This is such a wonderful chicken recipe. It has all the same fantastic flavors of shrimp scampi only it’s made with chicken! To make it skinny, I sauteed the chicken in a reduced-fat buttery, garlic and lemon wine sauce.Â It’s easy to make and tastes luxuriously rich! Each serving has 380 calories, 10 grams of fat and 8 Weight Watchers Freestyle Points.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
6 ounces dry whole grain spaghetti or angel hair pasta
1 pound chicken, (boneless, skinless) cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon lemon juice
A little salt and pepper
⅓ cup reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
¼ teaspoon salt
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
¾ cup white wine, see shopping tips
¼ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
Chives for garnish, optional
1. Prepare the pasta according to package directions. Cook the pasta al dente (not overcooked). Drain and set aside.
2. Sprinkle chicken with 1 tablespoon lemon juice and a little salt and pepper. Coat a large nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add chicken pieces. Cook for about 4 minutes, using a spatula, turn over, stir often and continue to cook for about 3-4 minutes, until chicken is cooked completely. Remove to a plate and set aside.
3. Wipe pan clean and coat with more cooking spray. Melt butter in pan. Add salt, pepper and garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in white wine, chicken broth and lemon juice. Cook over medium-high heat until it starts to boil, turn heat down to medium and continue to cook for about 2-3 minutes until the mixture is reduced to about ¾ cup.
4. Add flour to sauce and whisk until combined. Saute over medium heat for 1 minute. Mix in cooked chicken and saute until heated through.
5. To plate each serving: Divide ¾ cup pasta on each plate. Spoon about 1 cup of Chicken Scampi with sauce on top of pasta. Garnish each with chopped chives, if desired.
6. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings (each serving, ¾ cup pasta and about 1 cup Chicken Scampi with sauce)
Scampi is the Italian word for a prawn. It’s also the name of an Italian-American dish called Shrimp Scampi. It refers to broiled shrimp that have been brushed with garlic butter and sometimes a splash of white wine. Americans serve Shrimp Scampi usually over pasta or with bread to soak up the juices.
There is no question that using whole grain pasta is much better for you. It will add about 5 grams of fiber per serving.
No need to use an expensive wine for this recipe. I always have on hand in my refrigerator a cheap bottle such as Trader Joe’s Charles Shaw Chardonnay. It’s about $3.99 a bottle.
Weight Watchers Freestyle Points 8
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 10
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 8
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving (each serving, ¾ cup pasta and about 1 cup chicken scampi with sauce)
380 calories, 10g fat, 3g sat. fat, 76mg chol, 30g prot., 33g carbs, 5g fiber, 370mg sodium, 1g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle Points
243 calories, 3g sat. fat, 5g protein, 0g sugar