You’ll love this fantastic lasagna, made in about 30 minutes and only 1 skillet to wash! It sure makes for an easy weeknight or Sunday night dinner. It’s loaded with veggies and whole grain lasagna noodles. The skinny for 1 serving, 236 calories, 5 grams of fat and 6 Weight Watchers SmartPoints. Comfort food with ease…You gotta love it!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
1 pound extra lean ground beef, I used Trader Joe’s 96% fat-free ground beef
1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
1½ cups mushrooms, sliced
1 cup onions, chopped
1 cup zucchini, chopped
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
6 dry whole wheat or whole grain lasagna noodles, broken into 2-inch pieces, see shopping tip
23-26 ounces jarred pasta or marinara sauce, I used Prego’s Heart Smart Traditional pasta sauce (23.5 oz jar)
2 cups water
¾ cup fat-free cottage cheese or fat-free ricotta cheese
½ cup light mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. Cook ground beef in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat, breaking into pieces, until almost cooked through, about 4 minutes. No need to drain meat if using extra lean beef. If not, drain meat and return to skillet.
2. Stir in garlic, mushrooms, onions, zucchini, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until vegetables are soft. Stir often.
3. Sprinkle broken lasagna noodles into the skillet, then pour in pasta sauce and water over top.
4. Cover and cook. Adjust heat as necessary to maintain a vigorous simmer, until noodles are tender (about 20 minutes).
5. Remove skillet from heat. Dot tablespoons of cottage cheese over noodles then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover and let skillet stand off heat until the cheeses melt (about 5 minutes).
6. Cut into 8 slices and serve. It does get a bit messy on the plate but is so, so good!
Serves 8 (each serving 1 slice, about 1 cup)
There are several brands of whole wheat or whole grain lasagna noodles that will work great for this recipe. I used a brand called Eating Right and bought it at Vons/Safeway. Barilla is another brand to look for.
Here’s a photo that might help. It’s the lasagna in the skillet with cottage cheese dolloped on top and sprinkled with a little mozzarella cheese.
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 6
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 6
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving (about 1 cup)
236 calories, 5g fat, 2g sat. fat, 31mg chol, 21g protein, 26g carbs, 5g fiber, 512mg sodium, 9g sugar
|FACTS: for SmartPoints
220 calories, 2g sat. fat, 9g sugar, 19g protein