Oh my goodness…You’ll make your entire family very happy with these adorable, savory cupcakes! They’re topped with dreamy, skinny mashed potatoes. Serve with some steamed vegetables or a salad and you’re set. Each meatloaf cupcake has 154 calories, 3 grams of fat and 4 Weight Watchers SmartPoints. Dinner on the table in 1 hour!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 40 minutes
Ingredients for Meatloaf:
1 pound (96%) extra lean ground beef or ground turkey, see shopping tips
1 slice whole wheat bread (I used Milton’s Multigrain bread)
1 cup onions, diced
2 egg whites
3 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon spicy brown or yellow mustard (not Dijon)
¼ teaspoon salt
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Topping:
¼ cup ketchup
1 tablespoon spicy mustard or yellow mustard
2 teaspoon brown sugar
Ingredients for Mashed Potatoes:
3 cups (1 pound) baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
⅓ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
⅛ teaspoon salt
Black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a regular size (12-cup) muffin tin with cooking spray.
2. To make bread crumbs: remove crust, break up bread and add to a blender or food processor. Process until the bread turns into crumbs.
3. In a large bowl, add the ground beef, bread crumbs, onions, egg whites, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Using your hands, mix together until well.
4. Using a ⅓ cup measuring cup, fill 9 muffin cups. In a small bowl, mix together the topping ingredients. Spread about 2½ teaspoons topping all over the top of each meatloaf cupcake. Bake for 40 minutes.
5. While the meatloaf is baking, make the mashed potatoes. Add potatoes to a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain potatoes into a colander and place drained potatoes back in the pot. Mash potatoes with a fork. Add the butter or Smart Balance, broth and a little salt and pepper. Turn flame to medium and continue to mash potatoes until smooth and all the ingredients are heated.
6. Remove meatloaf muffins from pan and place on paper towels to drain the fat. Top each with 2 rounded tablespoons of mashed potatoes and serve.
Makes 9 meatloaf cupcakes
Happily most supermarkets sell lean ground beef. I used the 96% lean ground beef from Trader Joe’s.
I love Milton’s Multigrain bread and used it to make the bread crumbs. It’s sold in most supermarkets, Trader Joe’s and Costco. Or, use your favorite to make the bread crumbs.
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 4
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 4
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 meatloaf cupcake
154 calories, 3g fat, 1g sat. fat, 22mg chol, 13g prot, 17g carbs, 2g fiber, 337mg sod, 6g sugar