Yummy, Yummy…This is a such a fun fall treat! And no baking necessary. It’s a healthier version of the classic rice krispies treats and your kids are sure to love them too! Each square has 134 calories, 2 grams fat and 5 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cool Time: 20 minutes
3 cups apples, peeled and diced
1½ teaspoons cinnamon
3 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1½ cups quick oats, see shopping tips
3 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
6 cups mini marshmallows
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1½ teaspoons vanilla
Ingredients for Topping
2 teaspoons sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1. In a microwave safe small bowl, add apples and 1½ teaspoons cinnamon. Mix together. Cook in microwave 1½-2 minutes, until soft.
2. In a large bowl, mix together Rice Krispies cereal, quick oats and cooked apples. Set aside.
3. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir constantly until completely melted. Remove from heat and stir in 2 teaspoons cinnamon and vanilla extract. Add melted marshmallow mixture and stir until well coated.
4. Spread mixture into a 9 x 9-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Pat down slightly.
5. For topping: Mix together sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle all over top with sugar/cinnamon topping. Allow to cool for about 20 minutes and cut into squares. Best if served the day you make them or the next day. Or, bake and freeze. Leftovers freeze great.
Makes 16 squares
Rice Krispies Treats were invented in 1939 by Malitta Jensen and Mildred Day. They worked at the Kellogg Company Home economics department as a fund raiser for Camp Fire Girls.
It’s important to use quick oats not old fashioned rolled oats for this recipe. They create a much better texture and work much better in “no bake” desserts.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 5-Blue
WW SmartPoints 5-Green
WW Points Plus 4
SKINNY FACTS: for 1 square
134 calories, 2g fat, 0g sat. fat, 4mg chol, 2g protein, 29g carbs, 2g fiber, 61mg sod, 14g sugar
FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
120 calories, 0g sat. fat, 2g protein, 12g sugar