This is a wonderful low calorie, low fat version of the French classic chicken dish! The French pronunciation is kɔk o vɛ̃. It’s so easy and straightforward. I’ve served it many times and everyone loves it! My skinny version uses white wine instead of red wine, which creates a lighter tasting sauce and is cooked on the stove top instead of the oven. The skinny for 1 serving, 234 calories, 3 grams of fat and 5 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. A regular recipe has 572 calories and 30 grams of fat. It smells so wonderful while cooking and is truly a gourmet treasure.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
1 pound chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into 2-inch chunks
A little salt and pepper
1 tablespoon flour
2 teaspoons olive oil
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced in half
1 cup baby carrots
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup white wine, see shopping tip
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 cup frozen pearl onions
1 cup frozen peas
1. Add chicken chunks to a bowl. Season with a little salt and pepper and toss with flour.
2. Coat a large nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add chicken, brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
3. In the same pan, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil. Saute mushrooms, carrots and tomato paste over medium-high heat. Cook 3 minutes.
4. Add wine and broth and deglaze the pan. Continue to simmer for about 8 minutes until reduced by half. Add thyme sprigs and chicken. Simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Stir in onions and peas and simmer for about 3-5 minutes more until onions and peas are heated through.
Makes 4 servings (about 1½ cups for each serving)
This classic French dish, when literally translated, means “rooster with wine.” In days past, farmers kept roosters for breeding purposes until they were several years old, which necessitated long slow cooking to tenderize them for eating. To accomplish this, the rooster was cooked slowly with mushrooms, onions, bacon, herbs and red wine.
No need to use an expensive bottle of white wine for this dish. I usually buy a very inexpensive wine such as Trader Joe’s Charles Shaw wine. Known as the Two Buck Chuck!
Serve this dish over ½ cup of mashed potatoes:
Weight Watchers (old points) 4
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 5
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving (about 1½ cups for each serving)
234 calories, 3g fat, 28g protein, 15g carbs, 4g fiber, 298mg sodium, 5g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 serving
572 calories, 30g fat, 40g protein, 24g carbs, 1g fiber, 574mg sodium, 8g sugar