If you’re short on time, this big on flavor dessert is perfect to make. So easy, quick and absolutely yummy! This isn’t your ordinary strawberry shortcake either. I’m starting with a store-bought fat-free angel food cake, adding fat-free vanilla pudding, Cool Whip, lots of fresh sliced strawberries, blueberries and drizzling a store bought strawberry glaze. You’ll love how light, fluffy and flavorful this is. The skinny for 1 serving, 120 calories, 0 fat and 3 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Refrigerate Time: 1 hour
5 cups (~2 pints), fresh strawberries, sliced
2 cups fresh blueberries
½ cup store-bought prepared strawberry glaze, see shopping tip
1 (14oz) ready baked angel food cake, cut in half and into 1-inch cubes, see shopping tip
1 (8oz) container fat-free frozen Cool Whip, thawed
2 snack packs of already prepared fat-free vanilla pudding, see shopping tip
1. In a large serving bowl or trifle dish, place half the angel food cake pieces on the bottom of bowl.
2. Sprinkle about 2 cups strawberries evenly over cake.
3. Dollop 1 package of pudding all over top of berries.
4. Sprinkle with ½ cup blueberries and drizzle with ¼ cup strawberry glaze over blueberries.
5. Spread ½ container Cool Whip evenly over glaze.
6. Repeat the steps starting with angel food cake and ending with Cool Whip. Decorate top of the Strawberry Shortcake Trifle with remaining sliced strawberries and blueberries.
7. Chill for at least 1 hour before serving. Store any leftovers covered in refrigerator.
Makes 16 servings
Although shortcake is most commonly made with a rich biscuit, it can also be made with cake. The classic American shortcake is a large sweet biscuit, split in half, then filled and topped with sliced fruit, usually strawberries and whipped cream.
A trifle usually consists of sponge cake or ladyfingers, doused with sherry, covered with jam and custard, topped with whipped cream and garnished with fruit, nuts or chocolate.
Marie’s Glaze for Strawberries comes in a container and found in the produce section (near the strawberries) in most supermarkets. Store leftover glaze in the refrigerator for several weeks.
Ready baked angel food cake can be found in the produce section this time of year, usually displayed with fresh strawberries. It might also be in the bakery aisle.
Already prepared fat-free vanilla pudding is usually displayed in the aisle where boxed pudding is sold. It’s available in a 4-snack-pack size. You can substitute fat-free tapioca or chocolate, if desired.
This dessert can be made a day in advance.
The easiest way to thaw Cool Whip is in the refrigerator. When you get home from the market, store in the fridge until ready to assemble the trifle.
Weight Watchers (old points) 2
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 3
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving
121 calories, 0g fat, 2g protein, 28g carbs, 2g fiber, 45mg sodium, 10g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 serving
242 calories, 9g fat, 3g protein, 36g carbs, 2g fiber, 162mg sodium, 11g sugar