This salad works wonders with Thanksgiving leftovers. But it’s terrific all year round. It’s like a turkey dinner in a bowl! With the great flavors of turkey, sweet potatoes, apples, dried cranberries, and my Cranberry Ranch dressing, this salad is sure to become one of your favorites. I like it so much, I make it several times a year. Each very large, main course salad (including dressing) has 351 calories, and 5 grams of fat.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 35-45 minutes
1 recipe for Cranberry Ranch Dressing (recipe follows below Skinny Facts) or a store-bought light raspberry vinaigrette
3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt & pepper, to taste
2 bags spring mix or field greens
3 cups cooked turkey (remove skin), chopped
2 cups (~2 apples) Granny smith or any green apple, cored and cut into chunks
1 cup red onion, chopped
2 ribs of celery, thinly sliced
⅓ cup dried cranberries
1. Prepare the Cranberry Ranch Dressing and refrigerate.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray.
3. In a medium bowl, toss the cubed sweet potatoes with olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper.
4. Place the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet and bake for 35-45 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown and tender when pierced with a fork.
5. Place the greens among 4 plates. Divide and top each salad with turkey, sweet potatoes, apples, onions, celery, and dried cranberries.
6. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of Cranberry Ranch Dressing over each. Add more dressing if desired.
Makes 4 main course salads.
If you don’t want to make the cranberry dressing, a store-bought light raspberry dressing will work just fine.
This is such a substantial main course salad that it’s perfect for dinner.
|SKINNY FACTS: per serving including the cranberry dressing
410 calories, 7.5g fat, 36g protein, 59g carbs, 9g fiber, 205mg sodium, 20g sugar
Skinny Cranberry Ranch Dressing
Cranberry sauce is pretty sweet alone, but added to ranch dressing, raspberry vinegar, and Dijon mustard, it transforms into a divine, not-too-sweet, fruity ranch. The skinny facts for 2 tablespoons of this refreshing dressing are 47 calories, and only 1.9 grams of fat. A full fat recipe for the same 2 tablespoon comes in at 163 calories and 14 grams of fat.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
¼ cup prepared whole berry cranberry sauce (canned)
2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar or cider vinegar
1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
1. In a small bowl, whisk together all of ingredients.
2. Pour into an airtight container and store in the fridge.
3. Cranberry Ranch will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Makes ⅔ cup
You can also use homemade cranberry sauce to prepare this dressing if you have some on hand instead of canned.
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 2
|SKINNY FACTS: for 2 tablespoons
47 cal, 2g fat, 5g protein, 7g carbs, 0g fiber, 117mg sodium, 0g sugar
|FAT FACTS: of regular dressing for 2 tablespoons
163 cal, 14g fat, 1g protein, 8g carbs, 0g fiber, 300mg sodium, 1g sugar