This is incredibly delicious! It takes a bit of work but easy if you prep all the ingredients before you stir-fry. I’m using frozen extra-jumbo shrimp. It’s the first time I’ve ever used frozen, raw shrimp. It’s amazing and works just as well as fresh, maybe even better! Each serving has 277 calories, 8 grams of fat, and 4 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 5 Green.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients for Cauliflower Rice:
1 (16 oz) package cauliflower rice
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
1½ teaspoons sesame oil or olive oil
Garlic powder and black pepper
Ingredients for Sweet Chili Stir Fry Sauce:
6 tablespoons sweet chili sauce, I used Trader Joe’s or your favorite
3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Ingredients for Shrimp and Stir-fry:
2 cups bell pepper, chopped (~2 bell peppers), I used 1 red and 1 yellow
2 cups snap peas, cut in half
1 cup onions, chopped
1 cup carrots, shredded
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound (16) raw frozen extra-jumbo shrimp (peeled and deveined) with tails or tails removed or large with or w/o tails, see shopping tips below
1 teaspoon sesame oil or olive oil
1. Defrost frozen shrimp: Place shrimp in a large bowl. Cover with cold water. It takes about 15 minutes to defrost.
2. To make cauliflower rice: Add rice to a microwave-safe medium bowl. Drizzle 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1½ teaspoons sesame oil and sprinkle with a little garlic powder and black pepper. Toss well to coat. Cover and cook in the microwave for about 6-8 minutes, to soften. Set aside.
3. To make stir-fry sauce: To a small bowl, add sweet chili sauce, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, and water. Using a whisk, mix well. Stir in cornstarch and whisk in until dissolved. Set aside.
4. To cook vegetables: In a large microwave-safe bowl, add bell peppers, snap peas, onions, and carrots. Cook in microwave for about 8 minutes until veggies are soft.
5. To make shrimp stir fry: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick pan. Add defrosted shrimp. Cook over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes or so, flipping shrimp halfway (cook time will depend on the size of your shrimp. Shrimp is ready when it’s pink, firm, and cooked through. Pour stir-fry sauce over shrimp. Cook for 1 or so minutes until bubbling and thickened. Stir in veggies and 1 teaspoon sesame oil. Toss well. Remove from heat.
6. To serve: Add about ¾ cup cauliflower rice to each bowl or plate. Top with 1 cup veggies with a sauce and add 4 extra-large jumbo shrimp on top.
7. Store in the fridge for up to 2 days. To reheat: assemble each serving and heat in the microwave.
Makes 4 servings. Each includes 4 extra-jumbo shrimp (4 ounces), 1 cup veggies stir-fry, and 3/4 cup cauliflower rice
There is a huge misconception out there that buying “fresh” shrimp is better. If you are in the United States, nearly all the shrimp you buy is frozen at sea and shipped to us because fresh shrimp has a very short shelf-life. When you think you are buying fresh shrimp, it is most likely frozen shrimp and defrosted before being sold. If you buy frozen shrimp, you can use it at the peak of its quality by defrosting it just before use. So unless you are sure it is fresh shrimp and not just defrosted shrimp, frozen is better.
Frozen shrimp can be stored in your freezer for up to 9 months.
Shrimp is very nutritious. It is low in calories and provides a high amount of protein and healthy fats, in addition to a variety of vitamins and minerals. A 3-ounce serving has only 84 calories. and does not contain any carbs.
To defrost shrimp, put them in a bowl in the sink and run cold water, allowing overflow. Depending on the size of the shrimp, it could take anywhere from 3 minutes to 15 minutes.
Most supermarkets sell a few brands of frozen shrimp. I used Water Front Bistro raw extra large jumbo shrimp with tails on (peeled & deveined). You can use large instead with or without the tails. Use 4 ounces of shrimp per serving.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 4-Blue
WW SmartPoints 5-Green
WW Points Plus 7
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving
277 calories, 8g fat, 1g sat. fat, 155mg chol, 22g protein, 28g carbs, 4g fiber, 978mg sod, 16g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
97 calories, 1g sat. fat, 0g protein, 8g sugar